The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Communal garden

Helen Wells

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My beautiful pup is arriving in a couple of weeks and will be 8 weeks.
My main concern is toilet training. Ideally I'd like to encourage going outside from day one and am happy to take her out at night. Only problem is that I only have access to a communal front garden. I never see dogs in the garden but we do have fox visitors. Do you think it will be safe to take her in before her second injections ?

Foxes can carry parvovirus. Can you speak to your neighbours about perhaps allowing you to temporarily fence off an area for your puppy, or alternatively creating a turf tray for her?

By the way, I hope you didn't think this advice is free - we demand payment in puppy pictures :)

Foxes can carry parvovirus. Can you speak to your neighbours about perhaps allowing you to temporarily fence off an area for you puppy, or alternatively creating a turf tray for her?

By the way, I hope you didn't think this advice is free - we demand payment in puppy pictures :)

Thanks for your reply! Do you think turf tray indoors is best option?
Attached is a photo of the gorgeous (still unnamed) furball

Attachments

• IMG-20200820-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20200820-WA0003.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 161
Squee! How gorgeous is she ...

If fencing off an area is not practical and a turf box is do-able, I'd probably say that is better than take the risk.

It might be as well to speak with the residents who share the grassed area before you get your pup. Many people get really antsy about their communal area being used as a dog lavatory. A box of chocs or bottle of wine will sweeten the conversation.

A turf box is a good alternative also.

I wouldn't worry about the foxes, but that is my opinion and not the only point of view.

It might be as well to speak with the residents who share the grassed area before you get your pup. Many people get really antsy about their communal area being used as a dog lavatory. A box of chocs or bottle of wine will sweeten the conversation.

I wouldn't worry about the foxes, but that is my opinion and not the only point of view.
Thanks for your reply. Can I ask why you wouldnt worry about foxes. Are they quite low risk?

May I just add. If/when you decide to let your neighbours know about using the communal garden, it might be best not to actually put across as 'do you mind if..'. When ever there is any kind of changes for the norm, even in best neighbourhoods there is odd few that will not agree and should you still go ahead even if majority did agree..you will find all sorts issues then popping up.
It is best to announce your new little one's arrival by just notifying folk in quick 'oh by the way...' manner. Like saying..'oh..we've got new puppy arriving soon....so don't be surprised if you see me at odd hours at the garden..lot of poo bags is involved next few months..'laugh'..etc.'

Our human brains work 'funny' ways..say something in straight on...(we are going use the garden)..it is like a red flag with some as you are 'telling' them what is what and that's it.
It is all about delivery.. ;)

May I just add. If/when you decide to let your neighbours know about using the communal garden, it might be best not to actually put across as 'do you mind if..'. When ever there is any kind of changes for the norm, even in best neighbourhoods there is odd few that will not agree and should you still go ahead even if majority did agree..you will find all sorts issues then popping up.
It is best to announce your new little one's arrival by just notifying folk in quick 'oh by the way...' manner. Like saying..'oh..we've got new puppy arriving soon....so don't be surprised if you see me at odd hours at the garden..lot of poo bags is involved next few months..'laugh'..etc.'

Our human brains work 'funny' ways..say something in straight on...(we are going use the garden)..it is like a red flag with some as you are 'telling' them what is what and that's it.
It is all about delivery.. ;)
Haha totally agree. It's only 5 other flats and to be honest they are very relaxed generally so I haven't even considered it might be an issue (hoping I'm right!!) 3 of the flats don't overlook it so are unlikely to even notice!

I would agree with the 'not worrying'. Taking pup on the grass to do the no 1&2's rather than letting it to play and get to chew things is entirely different thing. Germs are everywhere and can be carried on even by us humans feet. Of course we don't want to expose our dogs to harmful germs anymore than is necessary. Dogs paws can be cleaned with quick wipe and the exposure risk is next to nothing. Even pups that are with their moms are exposed to certain amount of germs...mum has to go out for its needs as well so she is not 'clean'.

I would agree with the 'not worrying'. Taking pup on the grass to do the no 1&2's rather than letting it to play and get to chew things is entirely different thing. Germs are everywhere and can be carried on even by us humans feet. Of course we don't want to expose our dogs to harmful germs anymore than is necessary. Dogs paws can be cleaned with quick wipe and the exposure risk is next to nothing. Even pups that are with their moms are exposed to certain amount of germs...mum has to go out for its needs as well so she is not 'clean'.
Thank you for your reply.
Another consideration is to do partly outside and partly on the turf area inside to minimise risk. Would the puppy understand that as it's the same texture or is this just going to confuse her when it comes to fully going outside?!

Haha totally agree. It's only 5 other flats and to be honest they are very relaxed generally so I haven't even considered it might be an issue (hoping I'm right!!) 3 of the flats don't overlook it so are unlikely to even notice!

We live in terraced house with a garden and even then I did let closest neighbours know in similar manner that I decribed. It is always good to cover yourself for any possible surprises. Even we've passed the puppy stages now..they still like to go out in odd hours. Every now and then I do mention...'oh did you hear foxes last night?...our girls didn't like their noises and I had to let them go out to their guard duties or they would have gone frantic and woken the whole street up!' Despite their midnight grumbles, if neighbours indeed noticed some commotions, it was simply explained and next time if they hear something similar...hopefully they do just turn around in their beds thinking it just those at next door ...girls did a good job and I did even better one letting neighbours rest in peace...'safe' from fox commotion...keeping my halo shining brightly..:D

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply.
Another consideration is to do partly outside and partly on the turf area inside to minimise risk. Would the puppy understand that as it's the same texture or is this just going to confuse her when it comes to fully going outside?!
They will learn, even IF there would be little confusion at first. Once your pup gets little bigger and it will start to be able to hold on bit longer...you can then be more regular with the going out. The penny will eventually drop that it is supposed to do it outside only...what ever the surface texture. Through some dogs will always prefer just grass..or something else if there is a choice.

They will learn, even IF there would be little confusion at first. Once your pup gets little bigger and it will start to be able to hold on bit longer...you can then be more regular with the going out. The penny will eventually drop that it is supposed to do it outside only...what ever the surface texture. Through some dogs will always prefer just grass..or something else if there is a choice.

Thank you for being so helpful!
It's very exciting getting a pup for the first time but quite overwhelming too

Thank you for being so helpful!
It's very exciting getting a pup for the first time but quite overwhelming too
Oh it is indeed...both and MORE! You will experience all the emotions during the growing up period. Just remember that when you are having any of the 'not so nice' emotions...they will not last forever. The pup stage is only so long, and soon you will have fun with a 'teenager' ...though some don't have much noticeable issues in that time.
If you are lucky and work hard with your little one....things might start settling down into nice and easy routine within few+ months ..but given a year is normal too. They all develop and learn different things at different pace. And as much as it is about them growing up and learning...we owners have to learn about them and their personality and funny habits that makes them 'them' too. Do enjoy the puppy 'ride'...and we are here for your endless questions and witness your posts where you want to share what goes on with your special one ;) ...oh and photos....we do like to see photos..lots of them!

Last edited:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back