The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Considering a raw diet for my puppy

Kathrynmc1974

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
We have a 5 month old cocker spaniel and are considering changing his diet from dry to raw. I have been looking at the complete packs from Natural Instinct or Paleo Ridge, if I don't choose the complete how do I make sure he is getting the right food.

What would be a sample daily meal guide if I was to sort it out myself

Thanks for any advice

Congratulations on considering to change to Raw feeding!

I have had the cocker spaniels since 17 years of age and have fed Raw meats to them (on and off when supplies have been available) for well over 35 years.

A raw diet does not have to be balanced every day, this natural feeding method balances itself over a period of a few weeks.

Variety is the key to a "balanced" diet, with huge choices of meat types, chicken, lamb, beef, pork, rabbit, pheasant, deer, turkey. Anything made of "meat" is ok to feed.

Include raw bones, which can include chicken wings/carcases (uncooked), if meat grows on it the bone can be offered too although some are softer and more edible than others.

There are a few people who will not feed large weight bearing bones for fear of their dogs breaking teeth (I have never encountered this problem)

Gristle, fat and skin are all to be used.

I feed 1/2 lb of meat and or bone per day to my cockers, weight is easy to control and the poo's are TINY.

Please remember to include offal / organs in your raw diet, lungs, heart, liver, pancreas, kidneys are all highly nutritious but only need feeding in small amounts. Take care with the liver as too much at one time will cause loose poo's !

The change over is quick and can be done very easily, a couple of days should have the job done easily, you could start with raw chicken wings/carcases and wet green tripe, both very nutritious with the calcium and nutrients from the chicken wing/carcas and green tripe which is full of enzymes and good bacteria with probiotic qualities.

Complete and ready made meals are fantastic and very convenient; "WolfTucker" is a fantastic raw frozen product and Natures Menu (very convenient and can be found in many pet stores ) with loads of variety too. As mentioned previously your meals do not have to be balanced daily.

Have a look at the "Honeys" website and register with the site, here you can order one of their books absolutely "FREE" of charge with no commitment to purchase anything else at all,

"Honeys Natural Feeding Handbook for dogs", this little book is full of easy to understand information and advice and of course it is FREE !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the great advice, would it be ok for me to mix the two and use complete and my own.

Will have a look at the mentioned websites

Thanks

Kathryn

You can combine the two (I have done it myself, 35years ago with no ill effects) there is no need though, the raw type is the best choice to make.

If you wish to keep kibble for weekends away or holidays, that should work quiet well, but consider using a grain free product, this will include; No rice, wheat, maize / corn, barley

Grains are an un natural product for canine animals and most of it passes through un used very soft and bulky and very smelly!

Hi, when I work out the percentage of food he has say 2% body weight per day, is that his actual body weight or his ideal adult body weight

I don't work on percentages so I am un able to help you. I just go by how the dogs look as individuals themselves.

If one is looking a bit lean I give a little more or if another is looking like she is putting weight on then I reduce her amount.

Weight can go on very quickly with raw food. At this point it is just your own common sense !

No two dogs are exactly the same size or get the same amount or type of exercise.

I am sure 1/2lb daily will be a good amount to start with.

Remember that as raw meat is such good quality nutritious food and so much of it can be easily digested, a daily meal will not be very big and at times can look quiet small.

Enjoy your raw choice, it really is very easy, so do not over worry and spoil the experience.

We have bought some Natural Instinct complete today so tomorrow morning will be his first try

Excuseme, Can I ask what you think of Benyfit Natural? I have fed my two Wolftucker, Nutriment and Natural Instinct, (as you can tell I hate the thought of only feeding one food), and I am happy with how the dogs are but I came across an advert for Benyfit and I am thinking of adding that to the list.

I have never heard of this make of food before I Must be another raw product being introduced to the "Raw meats" market

Just quickly "googled" the product and it looks as if they add some supplements to their meats "but why" !.

There is no need to add supplements to a raw diet if it is of good variety with various meat types (the more variety the better), bones/bone types and an assortment (in small quantities) of offal/plucks.

The wild dog/wolf would not be given supplements but will eat if found and available, fruit, some root products and an assortment of herbs and grasses, which would all help within their raw natural diets.

If you should wish to add some supplements to your raw diets for peace of mind I would suggest the "Smart Barf" product. (contains a huge assortment of various fruit, veg, nuts, seeds and herbs)

WolfTucker is a fantastic product, and "Natures Menu" frozen products, "Country Hunter" has no grain or rice fantastic and convenient they also make vegetable nuggets to add to your home made meals.

We tried him with a small amount alongside his normal kibble and he wolfed the lot. We are now on day three of mixing the two at each meal and the raw gets eaten first, hardly touching the sides

Going to keep like this for a while and then start reduce the kibble and increase the raw.

I have been looking at a website called raw 2 go who sells (80, 10, 10) minces are these of a good quality/recommended

I've heard of them but never looked at their site before.

Looks like they produce some nice products with variety and some nice "chunky" meats too.

Remember that your daily feeds do not have to be "balanced" each day so you can choose a good selection and variety over a few weeks. I would certainly give them a try!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back