The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Constant shielding

Lennor Magill

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I got Morgan's brother Rex(same litter) a year ago at sixteen months old last Christmas. I took him in to foster over the Christmas period fell in love with him and decided to adopt him. He was a very thin nervous frightened neglected dog . He had very rough bristle coat and shedded profusely. He's now 2 and a half and the sweetest of my two greys. Loving trusting and very affectionate BUT he's not stopped shedding in the year we've had him although his coat is now beautifully soft and shiny.
I've tried different anti shed shampoos daily grooming nothing helps. He's very healthy in good shape correct weight the vet says he's come along beautifully. He has the same diet as his brother who hardly sheds Wolf Tucker raw .
What more can I do . Has anyone got this problem?
Every thing I've read said greyhounds don't molten much. Any advice suggestions would be welcomed.
Lennor

I'm sure one of our experts will be along shortly. Sorry I can't offer any advice.

Well done for adopting Rex . It sound like he had a very bad time, poor mite,
It sounds like you have done all the right things .
Is he more stressy than Morgan ? Stressy dogs will shed more .

Hi dont have an answer, but little Remy who was found beaten half to death in a potato field and who was never 100% right again shed like mad all the time we had him, he was in constant shedding mode for 9 years..
We always said if only Remy could share the secret of loosing so much hair yet never going bald we would make a fortune.
Every pat or stroke left the 'stroker' with a handful of fur, the brush was clogged in seconds and nothing ever changed that yet he was well fed and in good condition. In the end we just accepted it and classed Remy hair as added fibre in our diet because it got everywhere!

(he wasnt a greyhound btw but we think there was a bit of whippet in there somewhere)

Last edited:
I wonder if anxiety could be a factor. I don't have any first hand knowledge of it, but stress can be a cause of alopecia in humans so given the situations both he and Remy were rescued from, it could be worth considering.

@JoanneF Im sure youre right. When we were little my brother had a fear of dogs ,if he even saw a dog in the street his hair would fall out in lumps. Luckily he grew out of it.

Well done for adopting Rex . It sound like he had a very bad time, poor mite,
It sounds like you have done all the right things .
Is he more stressy than Morgan ? Stressy dogs will shed more .

He doesn't seem stressed, he's a happy chap who greets everyone with a vigorous waggly tail. (Our Vet have wonderful nurses and both our dogs love going there.)Sometimes he's a little scared of his brother over meaty bones . They have these in separate rooms. There's no problem over food which they eat near each other in the kitchen.
Rex has longer hairs than Morgan perhaps it's the cause of heavy shedding. The Vet think he's in excellent condition now so shouldn't worry.

Thanks for all your response. It seems as though it's something i have to get use to.
Hi dont have an answer, but little Remy who was found beaten half to death in a potato field and who was never 100% right again shed like mad all the time we had him, he was in constant shedding mode for 9 years..
We always said if only Remy could share the secret of loosing so much hair yet never going bald we would make a fortune.
Every pat or stroke left the 'stroker' with a handful of fur, the brush was clogged in seconds and nothing ever changed that yet he was well fed and in good condition. In the end we just accepted it and classed Remy hair as added fibre in our diet because it got everywhere!

(he wasnt a greyhound btw but we think there was a bit of whippet in there somewhere)
My son had this shopping bag made of Rexie . We now call his shedding glitter dust
20190217_114844.jpg

Sorry i haven't responded before. Yes its the white dog (Rex) that's shedding. I've spoken to the breeder and none of his 10 siblings including Morgan has this problem.
We dont know what happened with previous owners but when the breeder saw how he was she took him back and we fostered then adopted him.
He was timid and malnourished and clung to me. He's now well adjusted to us and is loved by everyone

Last edited:
I've heard of white greyhounds shedding like this before,apart from the shedding they were perfectly healthy. So it may be a thing you have to live with unfortunately.

I've heard of white greyhounds shedding like this before,apart from the shedding they were perfectly healthy. So it may be a thing you have to live with unfortunately.[/QUOT

You could be right. His coat has a lovely sheen and is velvety soft. He's not stopped shedding in over a year so in exchange for an adorable dog with a sweet temperament and is well loved we get greyhound glitter in abundance. I suppose its a fair exchange.
Thanks for your helpful response.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back