The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Corns

Windsdream

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
:) Hi all, had to take Kai to the greyhound vet last week, because he kept holding

his back foot up and was a little lame :(

I could not see anything, only that his pads were cracked and very rough.

The vet said he had 2 corns, on 2 of his pads, back foot just at the start of the nail

He told me not to road walk for a while, and keep him on soft ground i have done that and all is ok :)

But i have heard that once they have suffered with this complaint, they always will

on and of :unsure: is this true?

What can i put on his cracked pads?

Is there anything i can do to prevent these corns from comeing back?

I have looked threw the F,A,Q section but can't see anything on corns :blink:

Thanks in advance Tina

But i have heard that once they have suffered with this complaint, they always willon and of  :unsure: is this true?

What can i put on his cracked pads?

Is there anything i can do to prevent these corns from comeing back?

I have looked threw the F,A,Q section but can't see anything on corns  :blink:

Thanks in advance Tina

In our experience both personal & other people's dogs unfortunately they do seem to come back. They can be surgically removed which can give up to three years relief (our own bitch got four month's). Olive oil is good for dry pads so is linseed oil. Almost any skin cream will alleviate dry pads. We use a prescription gel called Retin-A which is very good but difficult to get. Psoriasis suffers can get it easily.......get to know one & make friends :D

Hope things go well for you & your dog.

Terry Smith.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our old bitch sufford with corns untill our vet burnt them out, he had to burn deep into the pad to kill the root but they never came back and he pads showed no signs of where the corns had been after around 5 weeks and the area had heald.

He was telling me the trouble is if the roots arnt got then they will grow back so make sure you use a vet who'll make sure they get the roots and not just the tips.

Some vets say it is viral and there is a product available from chemist that works on them. I will ring my friend tomorrow she once told me the name of it, but I cannot remember. :b

:) Thankyou everyone, for your help i will keep a close eye on him.

I don't know what i would do without this board, you are all so helpfull :thumbsup:

CORNS have been a huge problem for my greyhound, Spectre. Adopted him just after toes had been amputed from both hind feet. Now, of course, the remaining toes are an ongoing problem. Have tried all the typical remedies, duct tape, corn removers, etc. Now I am using Vicks Menthol (works great for nail fungus, so figured I'd give it a whirl) and tea tree oil. Well, on the one pad where a corn was beginning, the entire thing just gradually separated and I was able to slowly remove the entire thing (and it HAS NOT returned... yet); The others are alot deeper and more stubborn, but are indeed separating and lifting. I think the Vicks is the better of the two and, since my grey won't leave a bandage in place very long, I don't know if keeping it covered will help to speed the process. In any event, I really do think the vicks has helped tremendously. I apply it at least 2x/day. Be patient. The urge is to dig out the offender prematurely. I don't think that is good for the dog or is effective in removing the corn. The one I rushed, has recurred... The other has not. He also wears TheraPaw boots (available online) for walking and going to the park. They are truly a Godsend and are worth EVERY PENNY. Without them, Spectre is unable to walk on hard surfaces, never mind RUN. With them, he's good for at least good 15 ninute serious run before he starts favoring his worst foot, and its a long time before he is lame enough to go home. I highly recommend them.

Hi Tina, How old is Kai?

I have a whippet who has had corns removed surgically from both front feet.

My vet said do not soften pads as this makes them more likely to reoccur

So far his have not come back 3 months now but he cannot be walked on the road

without his Therapaw boots as in previous post these are a fantastic American product originally made for working Huskies i think. They are easy to put on, stay on even when running and can be rinsed and dried if they get muddy.

Very expensive at £ 21.00 each but so worth it.

They are great for cut pads etc

I have done loads of research into this so come and chat at the next show if you need any help :luck: :luck: Jan

jayp said:
Hi Tina,  How old is Kai? 
I have a whippet who has had corns removed surgically from both front feet.

My vet said do not soften pads as this makes them more likely to reoccur

So far his have not come back 3 months now but he cannot be walked on the road

without his Therapaw boots as in previous post these are a fantastic American product originally made for working Huskies i think. They are easy to put on, stay on even when running and can be rinsed and dried if they get muddy.

Very expensive at £ 21.00 each but so worth it.

They are great for cut pads etc

I have done loads of research into this so come and chat at the next show if you need any help  :luck:   :luck:   Jan

:) Hi Jan, this topic was started back in feb 06. :blink:

Kai had them removed at the greyhound clinic, and has been fine ever since.

He is now 4 years old. :wub:

Thanks for your help any way, some one has brought this topic up again.

Tina

Just noticed the date Durhhhhhh x

I was taken in too - I thought it was a new thread. I was interested as I'm not sure if my dog has a corn. He had a toe injury last year, and now the nail of that toe seems to stick into the toe next to it. I noticed it after a walk one day when his toe was bleeding. I was worried that the offending nail would cause a corn on the toe next to it, so I have been rubbing it daily with CCS Foot Cream which softens skin. Now there is an oval patch of what seems like dried skin, and I don't know if it's a corn. If he runs he normally goes lame, but recently I padded between the toes to keep the offending nail away, and he runs and runs with no lameness. So, does anyone have any pictures of what a corn looks like? I tried to get him into our greyhound vet this week, but I was working and couldn't get there when he had an appointment - he's 65 miles away :( Obvously had it been serious I would have taken time off, but it's a long way to go to see if he has a corn. My local vet is wonderful, but if he had it treated I would want to see our greyhound vet, and I wouldn't want to upset my local vet - am I making sense? :wacko:

My poor whippet Stanley has had a corn surgically removed from his front foot today, after a couple of weeks of unexplained lameness, the corn made itself very clear. The vet had to cut very deep to ensure all the root is out and want to leave the stitches in for about 2 weeks to ensure it stays together.

He all bandaged up and I have a thera-paw boot coming tomorrow for him. Unfortunately the vet identified another corn on his other front foot, they said to keep a close eye on it and he may well have to have it removed once the other foot has cleared up. Has anyone any advice on what I can do to help.....

I so hope the other one doesn't come back :luck:

~JO~ said:
My poor whippet Stanley has had a corn surgically removed from his front foot today, after a couple of weeks of unexplained lameness, the corn made itself very clear.  The vet had to cut very deep to ensure all the root is out and want to leave the stitches in for about 2 weeks to ensure it stays together.
He all bandaged up and I have a thera-paw boot coming tomorrow for him.  Unfortunately the vet identified another corn on his other front foot, they said to keep a close eye on it and he may well have to have it removed once the other foot has cleared up.  Has anyone any advice on what I can do to help.....

I so hope the other one doesn't come back  :luck:

Hiya Jo, Mine wears the Therapaw for hard surface walks If you are vigilant you can actually pick the corn off before it becomes embedded in the pad, soak the foot first in warm salt water or epsom salts then it is painless to remove when

not deep. Hope this helps Jan

jayp said:
~JO~ said:
My poor whippet Stanley has had a corn surgically removed from his front foot today, after a couple of weeks of unexplained lameness, the corn made itself very clear.  The vet had to cut very deep to ensure all the root is out and want to leave the stitches in for about 2 weeks to ensure it stays together.
He all bandaged up and I have a thera-paw boot coming tomorrow for him.  Unfortunately the vet identified another corn on his other front foot, they said to keep a close eye on it and he may well have to have it removed once the other foot has cleared up.  Has anyone any advice on what I can do to help.....

Hiya Jo, Mine wears the Therapaw for hard surface walks If you are vigilant you can actually pick the corn off before it becomes embedded in the pad, soak the foot first in warm salt water or epsom salts then it is painless to remove when

Thanks Jan - that's really helpful, I'll give it a day or two to get over this then I'll start soaking his other foot. Typical that he is the one that hates his feet being touched, in fact at ringcraft as a pup they were convinced he had tickly feet and legs!

I'll give him zinc as well as I know Zephyr said about this :thumbsup: He is on steroids permanently and am wondering whether this has i some way contributed to this problem :blink:

~JO~ said:
jayp said:
~JO~ said:

Thanks Jan - that's really helpful, I'll give it a day or two to get over this then I'll start soaking his other foot. Typical that he is the one that hates his feet being touched, in fact at ringcraft as a pup they were convinced he had tickly feet and legs!

I'll give him zinc as well as I know Zephyr said about this :thumbsup: He is on steroids permanently and am wondering whether this has i some way contributed to this problem :blink:

If you google Greyhounds corns there has been loads of research done as it is fairly common in this breed. There are various theories as to the cause and the best treatment and the immune system has been possibly implicated if you accept

the virus theory, similar to Cold sores, Not sure myself as there seems to be no

concrete evidence either way Jan

I think this is the useful sort of thread should be added to FAQ

Our Ziggy has a corn but it doesn't trouble him too much. Every know and then he starts to go slightly lame on hard surfaces and I just dig it out with my thumbnail and then he is OK for 2 or 3 months. It seems to very shallow and comes out easily in his case and he doesn't seem to mind me doing it. I will try the Vicks Menthol idea though :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

I've been told that corns are most common with dogs with white feet and pink pads! The only sucessful treatment is surgery. Road walking will increase the problem - so suggest gallops on grass.

However - my personal experiences with Vikkie Plum (born 1979) was she never did get over them. Bruce *** (well know Greyhound Vet from the Hook Kennel) wanted to take her toes off, - we retired her.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back