The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Coton De Tulear

Mike77

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all.
Brand new member.
Please excuse the lengthy thread.
I'm looking for some advice if possible.
Our beautiful 7 year old Coton de Tulear, Belle, passed away last Tuesday 30th July..
We are absolutely heartbroken.
She had surgery in April just gone to remove a stone from her bladder.
She recovered brilliantly after the surgery but Sunday morning, 28th July we noticed that she was struggling to wee and vomited so immediately rang the emergency vet, who told us to bring her in.
They were the same crowd who done the surgery.
They said that they would need to fit a catheter to drain her bladder.
So between that Sunday morning and Tuesday evening, Belle's health deteriorated so much that she passed away surrounded by her family.
It turns out that the stone removed in April was a Struvite stone.
I only found that out today from the vet.
She actually had more stones that had formed by the time of her passing and her bladder was also damaged.
Can anyone confirm for me that Belle should have been should have been put on a special diet after the surgery or if anyone has had any experience with Struvite stones in their own dog?
I'm just trying to make sense of what happened.

I can't comment on the veterinary side, but I am so sorry for your loss. It's a hugely difficult time no matter how often we go through it, and I hope you are getting the support you need.

I also have no experience but wanted to add my condolences. If you think it might help, the Blue Cross has a pet bereavement counselling service.

I'm so sorry. I hope you can get some answers to put your mind at rest. If you think this will be a difficult discussion to have with your vet, maybe you could email them instead? You would then also have their response in writing.

Thanks very much for the replies.
We are just lost at the moment as the vets also lost a urine sample in the middle of June and never informed us.
We are now wondering if something would have shown up on that.
I know our Belle is gone but it's the uncertainty around the lost urine sample and if she should have been put on a different diet, that's really adding to the grief.
I know vets have a very tough job but we've gotten no satisfactory answer after speaking to them.
Maybe a formal email is the way to as suggested previously.

I am so sorry for your loss and that it has been made harder by the situation you find yourself in...
I would definitely go down the formal email route and ask every question you need to.
Sending kind wishes and hope for satisfactory answers...

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back