The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Crate or pen

Percy

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I will be retiring shortly and plan to get a Border Terrier pup. What I cannot decide is whether to get a crate or a pen. Getting a crate will negate the need to also have a carrier as I can transport the pup in the car in the crate but I am more concerned about night time. If I have a crate, I will need to get up 2 or 3 times a night to let him out to go to the toilet whereas with a crate, I can put a toilet pad in (in the hope that he'll use it). I have also read that you should try to ignore their cries/whines at night until they settle down but with a crate and 2 or 3 toilet trips, ignoring him would not be possible. I think I've just answered my own question - looks like a pen is the way to go. I'd be interested to know what others think.

Crate. Depending on the breed they'll climb out of a pen. Also I believe it's never a good idea to teach a pup that it's ok to mess in the house sometimes. If business is always done outdoors if helps them learn quicker. JMPO

Last edited by a moderator:
I crate trained my dog definitely the way to go.

If they wine in their crate just reassure them but it continues and gets louder and more stressful they need the toilet.

You will be getting up with puppy 2-3 times a night and best to keep the crate in bed room too so you know when you need to get up with them.

Dependant on the dog itself it will take about 2 weeks until your pouppy will go abou 5-6 hours without needing the toilet.

Crates are greatbnfor toilet training too :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back