The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Crates

Tinytom

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have used crates for foster dogs when they first arrive to sleep in our bedroom but i do worry that pups and dogs can spend alot of time in them without some people realising its really not right ...a. beautiful rottweiler has just come into rescue having spent most of his short life in a crate :(:(

I am not a fan of crates personally, though I do appreciate there maybe a time and a place if used appropriately...It seems, to me, very open to abuse whether it is just through lack of thought or knowledge or intent:( It is sad that the whole concept of crate use, which seems to be promoted with every new pup sold these days, can at times end up being so detrimental to the pup or dog.

I don't like them if I'm honest, a cage is a cage. I do see the benefits of having a safe zone for a dog to chill out in,but to shut a dog in one is another ball game unless you are transporting the dog.
I've managed perfectly well all these years without one. So I'm not a fan.

I have a crate in the kitchen, it fits nicely into a gap. It is fitted with a memory foam mattress and a folded single duvet. Folly does appear to enjoy it but, and its a big but, not only is it not shut I have removed the door.

There are times I'll ask Jasper to go to his bed and settle down for a while, and there are times when I'll shut him in another room (e.g. if people he hasn't met are coming over - I like introductions to be made once they've come in and sat down). If a crate is being used in a similar way, I can't see a problem, and it could come in useful if the dog ever has to be confined to a crate e.g. in a hotel, or following an injury. Sometimes it's good to know your dog is safely out of harm's way - e.g. if you have a chewer who likes to make their own entertainment if you pop out for a short while. Having said that, Jasper never took to his and it took up half the room anyway.

We have an XXL, and it does take a lot of space... It's covered by a blanket, there is a bunch of stuff comfortably sitting on top.. sometimes stuff even ends up inside. Miles doesn't particularly care about the crate. When he was a baby dog, every now and then he would go in for a while. Now it's just a storage unit, perhaps it's time to fold it and put away. But then I would have to figure our what to do with the stuff... hmm... maybe the crate can stay a bit longer :D

That said, I think having a dog accustomed to and comfortable in a crate is a very good thing. One never knows what future holds, there may be a need for an overnight stay at the vet, or some other set of circumstances.

If properly used, they can be a great 'safe place' for the dog, but the problem is that they are so easily misused. I've never used one myself, but have nothing to criticise about correct use.

i got one for the first time with bridie and dannie as bridie was a chewer for at night in my bedroom a neighbour recomended it to me about an hour later they were both back on the bed and it was put in the garage the next day £100 spent to sit in the garage i couldnt see there little faces looking at me i felt crul nearly 5 years later there still on the bed i think there cruel things

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back