The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Cruciate Ligament/fibula Fracture

eieio

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello,

2 weeks ago my 3 yr old race bred whip injured himself in a final at a coursing competition. We did not see it happen, nor did the judge see any accident thru the binocs. He was on a hare w/ 2 other powerful whips in natural terrain and there was a lot of work-it was the course of the day. He returned w/ the other dogs with his left rear leg dangling-unable to put his foot right-it kept curling back on the top.

Got him to the vet within 2 hours on a Sat-and they put a Robert Jones soft cast on his leg-for what looked to be a minor hairline/avulsion fracture near the top of the fibula. They left the end of his toes exposed which caused them to balloon up and weep fluid. I had them look at it Mon and they changed the bandage, exposing more foot and it got worse. What can I say but its a one horse town with 1 vet and no ortho. I left work early Mon and drove him 7hrs to a vet near a GH track who was highly recommended-I was there 1st thing Tues.

This GH vet is less concerned about the fracture(just below the head, and connection to tibia is good) so much but was able to diagnose cruciate ligament damage by manipulating the knee. He also removed the RJ cast feeling it was doing more harm than good. At this point he is confined to crate, potty breaks on leash until I bring him back @ 3 wks from initial visit with track vet. He felt there is an 85% chance he will not need surgery. Am I just better off to do surgery? This track vet will be honest as to his capability to do the surgery or will refer me to an ortho who does the track dogs.

I have been icing 2x a day, supplementing w/ MSM/Glucosamine and Calcium, vitamin D. Week 2 and he puts weight on it with a limp-so it is not a full tear. I have searched my C of the Racing GH, this list, internet etc and cannot find anything about a dog able to return to an athletic career after this type of injury. Per most of what I do find-surgery is the only way the knee will be stable-all the articles are near identical for severe cruciate tears. And this injury seems uncommon in sighthound athletes-so no luck researching it specifically that way.

He is/was a very good race dog and coursing dog. Does anyone have any experience with this? This is only my 2nd race whip-and the first serious injury I have had. Any experience or other book recommendations will be appreciated.

bummed,

Lisa

Im actualy still on here this time of the morning,cause of my cruciate lig,and the other one too.Had them done,when my daughter's 65lb greyhound bitch hit me at full flight,whilst chasing the lure in training.Thought she was gona hit the lure,so stood in front of it,and took what she gave me.When i came round,there was a tractor in the field,to get me to the house,whilst the ambulance came.After month's of the wrong type of physio,as the note's were messed up,they found the full potential of the injury,through an MRI scan,and now im felling the consequences.My knee is loose,and knock's everytime i take a step.In the morning's i cant walk,till it tighten's up a bit.Every step is painfull,and i over did it on a charity cycle a couple of month's back.Ive been told the knee will get worse as time passes,as the joint's have already started to wear big time.If you have insurance,get you're dog to the best in the country,or to Alesander Perez,over here in ireland,as you wont get better,for that type of injury.Or if you can afford it,still do.Some top greyhound's have come back,good as ever,so long as it was sorted before the joint's began to suffer,and wear.With the fracture,it will take time anyhow.It's not now,that it might affect him,but in a year or too,he might have to be PTS,because of the pain, or simply cause it needed sorted when it needed sorted.Wish you all the best,in whatever the outcome.With a bit of luck ,he'll have made a wrong diagnose of the injury,and it wont be as serious as 1st thought. :luck: :luck: ...Billy...

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back