The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Crufts

JudyN

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Is anyone watching? I do like the Russian Toy.

The pug looked even more squishy-faced than those I tend to see on dog walks, which was disappointing:(

Is anyone watching? I do like the Russian Toy.

The pug looked even more squishy-faced than those I tend to see on dog walks, which was disappointing:(
Yes! Me and the dogs we watched it. I too liked the Russian toy and those little German 'monkey faced' little things..what ever they were called. I do like their body shapes but for my eye their faces do not match the body o_O But even then....I'm most curious about them and would looove to meet one in real life and found out more what they are like. Oh and the Akita....looovely..and the one that came third, was it Shiba Inu?
But watching a dogs on the telly is not that simple with mine...they are very friendly when they meet other ones on their walks, but when ever they see various animals or hear animal like noises from telly..that results really deep, chesty rumbling growls and occasional barks. Mine are little dogs but they sound anything but :rolleyes::D
And when the agility came on..other one of mine watched it without blinking...she was so glued on to see what was going on. I wish they could talk and tell what they are thinking.
I reckon my older one has bit of tendency for agility like training, but since they both do things together and little on is not wired that way...it would turn into mayhem if we were to try.
Oh well...they were up, out and about early this morning. Hubby had day off and treated them for a walk in the forest to spot deer before they are scared away by other dog walkers. Since the weather looks rather inviting today, it is going to be gardening day for me and the girls and tonight it is bit of TV to see some gun dogs.

Jasper never reacts to dogs on telly - I think it's something to do with the flicker rate. Maybe we'd better not update our telly too soon...

I'm not usually interested in the dancing, but the collie last night was amazing. It's not that Jasper couldn't do all those tricks given an awful lot of time and patience, but let's just say he would do them differently. I taught him 'spin' and 'twirl' when he was a pup, but he just ambled round in a large circle, in the time it took for last night's collie to spin about 20 times! And if I did manage to get him that excited, within 10 seconds he'd go into overload and start jumping up on me.

I'm a hound and terrier kind of gal, so looking forward to Sunday.

I love watching the agility when the dogs decide to do just what they want ! :D:D
Anyone know if they are live streaming the Parson terriers? A couple of Lils relatives are showing :rolleyes:

I went for the day yesterday I am absolutely shattered but I thoroughly enjoyed the whole day:)
We got to meet Desmond the sire of our new Curlycoated retriever puppy we will be welcoming home in the Summer:)

I was watching some of Crufts on the TV last night and was shocked to see how many of the dogs were so fat.:eek: The Gundogs were the ones I was looking at and although their coats were glossy with a full flow of loose movement, it just appeared to be lardy fat that was swaying from side to side, they had NO waistlines and NO firm muscle tone. And as for the American Cocker Spaniel, Well, how on earth can a show product like that be fit for work, with that over exaggerated long skirt and short face :eek:

@niamh123
Oh wow, a gundog, that's a bit different to what you usually have:rolleyes: how exciting. Has mum to be already been mated?

Did you bump into JoanneF anywhere? I don't know which days she was supposed to be there, (maybe she never did make it )

I thought that too, the black lab looked quite chunky .The American cocker looks ridiculous in a gun dog group, did like the ‘working cocker’ though :rolleyes:

You are getting a curly coated retriever – that’s wonderful! From hearing you talk about your last one so fondly; I was wondering if you might be tempted to get another one.

Watched the gundogs last night, but it whizzes past so quickly - blink and you miss a breed. Beautiful Irish setter – they really are such a stunning breed.

I thought that too, the black lab looked quite chunky .The American cocker looks ridiculous in a gun dog group, did like the ‘working cocker’ though :rolleyes:

Not so much a "working cocker" but a show type Cocker (bred to a design) that looked quiet sensible and did not appear to wobble with too much fat.;)

Congratulations for the planned new arrival, niamh123!

Did anyone notice that the Love Island's couple had, according to the subtitles, had surgery on his nostrils and 'pallet'? It's 'palate' you fools, not 'pallet'!! That's what happens when you move programmes from the Beeb...:D

I liked the English setter. Irish are meant to be rare but they're two a penny round here and always seem to come in pairs. I find their coat makes their shape a little unnatural so they don't do it for me.

I agree the lab and several others looked overweight - though the lab wasn't as squat as a yellow lab from a few years back. And then there's the Clumber and Sussex spaniels - I know they're meant to be heavy set but...

I wish we got more of the breeds and less of the 'filler' bits. Apart from the dog doing agility who ran off with the crossbar from one of the jumps - that was priceless!!!

The breed I grew up with were Curlycoated retriever's my parents never owned another breed apart from these wonderful dog's.When my youngest daughter was 6 months old we brought home a wonderful puppy we named Travis he was my girls best friend .Sadly Travis passed away 3 years ago and at the time I couldn't face getting another Curly it was my youngest daughter who chose the EBT as a breed and although they are amazing dogs, we all love the temperament of a Curly the Dam of our new puppy is staying with the Sires breeder for 5 days I also met her owner yesterday, she is a Swedish import she was mated Thursday evening so fingers crossed.One of the Sire's owner's own bitches is also due in Season within the next few weeks so I will be getting a puppy from either Bitch,I am hoping to be able to get a Black bitch.
Here is Travis aged 12
travis 1.jpg

As to gundogs being overweight, after seeing them quite a bit at shows I was amazed the first time we saw Labs in Scotland that where genuine working dogs. The difference made them look brilliant, slim and well muscled.

I always feel a bit sorry for the Labradors, they seem to come under so much scrutiny. Maybe it’s just because I prefer breeds that have a bit of meat on their bones, but I don’t have a problem with the show line gundogs, or the dogs in other groups that bare little resemblance to their ‘working’ relatives. After all, Crufts is a dog show that (rightly or wrongly) judges on appearance not working ability. Therefore, it’s show lines and not working lines you will be seeing in the main ring. If they were claiming that the Labrador was a best example of a working gundog, that might be a different matter.

John Finnemore’s sketch on Crufts sums the show up quite well I think

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back