The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Crufts

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I am not claiming that the show line lab is ‘ideal’ but then many of the breeds being shown do not have an ‘ideal’ body type, whether because they are too large, too small, have exaggerated features etc. Of the dogs on show, the labs wouldn’t be my major concern when it comes to dog conformation.

Maybe I misread / understood the previous posts, but I was responding to the fact that there seemed to be surprise, even ‘shock’ at the dogs in the ring being a little more rotund than the working lines and not ‘fit for purpose’ because of excessive hair etc. I didn’t see anything different about the gundogs this year than any previous years. Or anything different about the dogs last night to the ones being show tonight (some of which were carrying a little extra weight and coat cover than the breeds may have originally had). I’m not saying that’s how it should be, but it’s a dog show, they are show dogs and I just except it for what it is.

I sat through the Curlycoated retriever judging when it came to the working/field Curlies I could see no difference in the show Curlies and the working Curlies. The pup we will be getting is coming from working parents the same as Travis was.Travis's grandmother Cwmgilli independent image won BOB in the early 2000's she was worked everyday of the shooting season as was Travis's mother who also did really well in the show ring:)

Did anyone see the heelwork to music winner - it was incredible. Slightly disturbing, but utterly incredible.

I didn’t see anything different about the gundogs this year than any previous years. Or anything different about the dogs last night to the ones being show tonight

No, this year is no different - I moan about them every year:D

I sat through the Curlycoated retriever judging when it came to the working/field Curlies I could see no difference in the show Curlies and the working Curlies

I think this is the case for the majority of dogs in the gundog group. Not wishing to hammer home a point, but I went back and had another look at the BOB lab and compared it to the lab in the BASC final last year and saw little difference between the two. (However, I am sure that some would probably say that the BASC lab was overweight too:D). There was also an American Cocker in the final – proving they can work, albeit without the hair;).

Yes, that heelwork routine was amazing – never seen anything quite like it.

Wolfhound exercise requirements... 20 minutes a day, according to Clare Balding. Really??? According to the Kennel Club website they need over 2 hours a day. I suspect the truth is somewhere in between.

Last edited:
I just wish Clare Balding would do something with her hair! :D:D:D:D

I did love the Jack Russell. Disappointed a sighthound didn't win the hound group, but Maisie's character shone through!

OH is sulking. He doesn't like dachsunds anyway because their legs are too short and they are structurally unsound. And they cheat by having half a dozen different breeds in the line-up. I've explained that personal preference doesn't come into it and Maisie had that extra spark, but he's not buying it.

I surprised myself by rather liking the bull mastiff. Not my usual sort of dog but he did look good.

Well...by the look of it there was 2 or three bit rounder around the girth with terriers too!

But I wasn't surprised to see that little best in show winner...the character did shine through and the dog looked as fit as fiddle. And what was best, it looked healthy in its shape..not having overly long back, just long enough to show what the breed's look is all about. VERY pretty little bitch.
And as for the terrier group winner...hmmm...didn't do it for me. Although I'm not biggest Bedlington fan, that one in group final was absolute beauty.
Well...that's that for this year. I wonder what sort of breed will come back in fashion as result of the show...?

I think the Parson should have won the terrier group...not that I’m biased :D it was one of Lily’s relatives :rolleyes:
Oh yes...that Parson was nice indeed, though I'd like that one to have teeny bit more weight one, to me it was on borderline too thin....but if I remember right, it was quite young one so it probably will fill in touch more on later date.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back