The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Crufts

JudyN

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Anyone planning on binge-watching Crufts over the next few days? Or do you avoid it because of the ethical issues?

I'll be watching it, and rooting for the hound group, particularly the sighthounds (not that I'm biased... ), though I do regard it as a slightly guilty pleasure.

Reactions: RGC
I will dip in and out. There are parts I love like the agility and heel work to music, but to be honest, there’s only so much time you can spend watching dogs walking round in circles.

I assume I have shared this before, I was lucky enough to see it performed live, and it still takes my breath away. You need sound on for the story and atmospheric music.

Funnily enough, dancing to music is one of the few bits I avoid - I prefer dogs walking round in circles (apart from when they're almost strung up - why can't they just train them to walk naturally on lead?).

[rant alert]

A question from a viewer: 'I got my puppy two years ago and he's been with me 24/7 since then, but I need to go back to the office soon - what should I do?'

They should have thought of that, and planned ahead, when they first got the puppy :mad: I don't know what answer the expert gave - I was so annoyed I hit fast forward.

Anyone planning on binge-watching Crufts over the next few days? Or do you avoid it because of the ethical issues?

I'll be watching it, and rooting for the hound group, particularly the sighthounds (not that I'm biased... ), though I do regard it as a slightly guilty pleasure.
Yes, we’ll be glued to the sighthounds as well. I was amazed with the few whippets in the flyball event. Mabel slept through it. I also watched that lady with the rescued Jack Russell performing to The Sorcerer’s Apprentice. Glanced down at Mabel for comparative purposes and thought, “No way”.

RGC, did you see the whippet this evening? What a beauty!

RGC, did you see the whippet this evening? What a beauty!
I was expecting your call, JudyN.
Yes, I did. Absolutely beautiful. Loved the choice of the greyhound - a lovely girl and that pharaoh hound was something else. Pity the Ibizan didn’t get through. I was surprised that the Portuguese podengo made it as I thought podengoes were a mixed breed. No doubt someone will put me right.

I was really pleased the greyhound won, too. Combine that with the Irish terrier who won the terrier group, and you've got quite a lot of Jasper! Loved the Ibezan too, though my heart always beats fastest for the saluki.

I often get podencos and podengos mixed up, and there does seem to be a bit of confusion in the name: Warren hound - Wikipedia

One thing I'm wondering about is why the miniature schnauzer isn't viewed as a terrier, at least in the UK. According to Wikipedia, 'they are not related to the terrier group as do not have the typical terrier temperament, coat, shape of head and body', but they look very terrier-like to my inexperienced eye.

Like a magnet……

728DD96B-2D7E-47BF-88B0-01027BFE9A9A.jpeg

Podencos have three varieties - small, which look a bit like a Norfolk terrier, medium and large, which can be rough or smooth and look like lurchers. But they are a pure breed - a lady in my village breeds the smalls. Though they look like terriers (the smalls) they are totally unterrier in temperament. And of course like any hunting breed on the Continent, especially in rural areas where dogs roam free or are chained up, there may be a touch of another breed sometimes!

Similarly, the three sizes of schnauzer exist, though the giant is a formidable type and more of a guard dog. Miniature schnauzers might look like terriers (stumpy, plenty of attitude) but are very much not terriers, with a totally different albeit feisty temperament.

Podencos have three varieties - small, which look a bit like a Norfolk terrier, medium and large, which can be rough or smooth and look like lurchers. But they are a pure breed - a lady in my village breeds the smalls. Though they look like terriers (the smalls) they are totally unterrier in temperament. And of course like any hunting breed on the Continent, especially in rural areas where dogs roam free or are chained up, there may be a touch of another breed sometimes!

Similarly, the three sizes of schnauzer exist, though the giant is a formidable type and more of a guard dog. Miniature schnauzers might look like terriers (stumpy, plenty of attitude) but are very much not terriers, with a totally different albeit feisty temperament.
Thanks for that, Hemlock. That’s taught me (a very old dog) something. A pure breed. Are they of Spanish origin? As for greyhounds, over my years at college and during my degree, I always translated ‘galgo’ as ‘greyhound’ but is there a specific breed known as ‘un galgo’? In other words could we see both a greyhound and a galgo entered at Crufts? I was planning a quick Latin revision this morning but this is more fun.

Meant to add this. They belong to a whippet aficionada in the neighbourhood………plus one podenco

6252FE23-2498-4F23-84B2-447CA67D3E12.jpeg

What's the difference between terrier and miniature schnauzer temperament, Hemlock?

I can usually tell a galgo from a greyhound going by the impressive length of the former's tail - and maybe a lighter build? Google suggests that they are a separate breed, but I don't know if anyone breeds them for showing, or even as pets, and they don't seem to be recognised by the Kennel Club. I don't like googling information on them because of the horrendous abuse working galgos are often subjected to - the older I get, the more sensitive I am :(

Podencos are Portuguese in origin.

Galgos are very different in physique from greyhounds, and are used extensively for hunting and coursing in Spain. There have been dreadful incidents of cruelty with them, though attitudes have improved considerably over the last 20-odd years. I have met quite a few over here, mostly rescues, though a few people work them instead of lurchers. I think we will be seeing some galgo crossed with lurchers over here soon, as they have a lot to offer. Lovely dogs in every way.

Terriers compared with schauzers - broadly - well, terriers are far more hardcore and apt to take the fight to - anything else - whereas schnauzers are more willing to stay with a full and frank exchange of views. Terriers - the name is the giveaway from "Terra" will go to ground as a first decision rather than "eventually" and have no reverse gear. You could rarely call a schnauzer diplomatic, but terriers as a rule don't pause to negotiate - they are up and at 'em.

Congratulations to the lovely flat-coat retriever :)

I was rooting for the greyhound, but have a question about her conformation. Both when showing and when relaxing, her pasterns sloped in, towards her front legs, rather than vertical. There's a photo of her here: “Aya” – Ina's Fashion Greyhounds Is this sickle hocks? In greyhounds, is it to give extra propulsion when they run?

Show greyhounds have horrible conformation. Look at a racing or coursing greyhound for comparison and you'll see a much less exaggerated physique. The sickle hocks you so accurately noted are a bred-in weakness coming from too long a second thigh bending the stifle angle to the kind of extreme that would lead quickly to unsoundness. You see the same in show whippets too, and a host of other show types. Show greys in general have too long a neck, straight shoulders and a too-deep brisket. Working dogs need "just enough" in their conformation, whereas show types tend to have everything to extremes.

She's a lovely colour, though, and when you show, you have to have the kind of shape in your dog that wins shows. She wouldn't go a yard in the field.

Oh that's sad - why breed for something that (to my eyes at least) looks so wrong, if there is no physical benefit? The long neck does look odd, too - not so much 'Head like a snake, neck like a drake' as 'Head like a snake, neck like a giraffe'.

I do wish less emphasis was placed on the coat in many of the longer-haired breeds. The hairdo of the poodle that took Reserve Champion was just silly, IMO, and prevents you from seeing the 'dog'. As for the breeds where you can barely tell which way they're facing...

Thank you, Hemlock and to you, JudyN for raising the point. Am learning stuff regularly. Does this mean that certain 'weaknesses' are encouraged like the sloping back was with German shepherds and the current trend for the ridge with Rhodesian ridgebacks? I loved Aya's long neck and didn't realise that it's a cosmetic affectation which, I suppose, could add to the problem.

The long neck does look odd, too - not so much 'Head like a snake, neck like a drake' as 'Head like a snake, neck like a giraffe'.
Whenever I see an alpaca, and we have lots of them nearby, I think whippet.
And yes, I wasn't happy with the toy (or minature) poodle either but I think the vocal approbation from the crowd may have steered the decision.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back