The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Crying puppy

Sally33

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Our 7 month old puppy has just been castrated. All went well with no problems. The first night my husband slept downstairs with him as he was unsettled. The following day he was  back to his normal self so that night husband had an early night and  I stayed up to put him to bed, (he's crate trained). As my husband left  our pup started crying and panting and got distressed. I distracted him with toys and play with some success. After toileting he went in his crate and started crying and didn't let up, which is so unusual for him. In the end I had to wake up my husband, who was not happy, to passify him. My husband is at home with him most of the time. My question is, where do we go from here? I don't want this behaviour to become habit forming. Please has anyone got any advice on how i can proceed forward?

I'd have a word with your vet. He might be in pain after his op and need some pain relief. You could also try an Adaptil diffuser - it replicates calming hormones and is soothing for anxious pets.

Thankfully he came home with painkillers. We are going to the vets for a post check up tomorrow so will mention it then. Many thanks Joanne for advice on the diffuser- I think  I've seen it advertised, will certainly give it a try.

Hello, May I suggest that you pop him into his crate for a short time occasionally during the daytime.  This hopefully will enable him to be accepting of being in his crate away from either or both of you, and is less tiring for you to help him learn and accustom to, rather than only do at bedtime. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The first post does say that the puppy is crate trained !

Thank you, yes I can read.  If the "crate training" is based on main use at night-time, then the suggestion is to counter this by occasional use during the day, with husband going out of the room, to enable to dog to accustom himself to the situation at any time, and of course therefore at night too.

Things are settling down now at night, as long as husband puts pup to bed! We all had a good nights sleep last night. The biggest problem we have now is that our  pup, who had his back dew claws removed at some time of castration, won't leave his back legs alone. He's wearing a big enough cone but can still reach them. Dressings came off them today, but may have to go back on, which our vet would prefer not to do. It seems you sort out one problem and another appears! Hey ho.

Appreciate all your comments and advice. Many thanks 

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back