The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Cryptorchids

Alba

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
it seems that it is all to common to find male whippets whose testicles descend rather late or sometimes never, or who only have one testicle descended

how common is this problem in Italian greyhounds?

Has been known occasionally. Some come down late but if they are not there at 12 weeks I would be a bit concerned,

Happens often enough here in North America.

I myself had a male pup who had one down, and one up for the longest time. Then at one point when he was just over six months old; he was sitting on my chest and I looked - sure enough it had gone into the sac - blew me away as I had tried to push it into the sac and never could. The nut never came out of the sac but the ended up being neutered anyways....

Many breeders start massaging those testicles down as soon as the puppies are born and continue to do it on a daily basis just to be safe. I actually know of one breeder of IG's and Whippets who finds the testicles as soon as the pups are born and to this date has NEVER had a cryptorchid pup - either breed.

Kasia

GraysonIG said:
Many breeders start massaging those testicles down as soon as the puppies are born and continue to do it on a daily basis just to be safe.Kasia

Cor, blimey, the joys of animal ownership :wacko:

Hey dont laugh I have got my vet so paranoid about testicles he checks over any of my new dogs from the back frontwards :D

He muttered something about women dog owners and the massaging of dogs testicles once, didnt quite catch what he said though :- "

Does it cause any health problems if the testicle does'nt drop? and if so what might the problems be? :cheers:

They say it can develope into cancer later on in life but know how true that is. If the testicle has been retained in is a harder job to do the castration and costs more of course. If it is retained it is probably better to get castrated I suppose.

Jan Doherty said:
They say it can develope into cancer later on in life but know how true that is. If the testicle has been retained in is a harder job to do the castration and costs more of course. If it is retained it is probably better to get castrated I suppose.
if you look in the whippet show section at k9 there's a thread on "puppies development" with much discussion of this issue

http://www.k9community.co.uk/forums/index....pic=8645&st=105

I asked about the incidence in Italian greyhounds because I was wondering whether a high %age of cryptochids is unique to whippets. I heard that it is not a problem with racing greyhounds, so I don't think there is anything about sighthound physique which predisposes breeds to this problem. Also I think the problem is becoming more common in whippets and may be linked to certain popular genetic lines? I don't know whether there could be an environmental factor; I have read that undescended testicles is becoming more common in boy children, along with other "feminine" type traits that are related to environmental pollution and hormonal levels in the womb (I think the culprit is xenoestrogens in plastics and pesticides?)

re cost of castration - I think in the UK it would be cheaper to castrate than to remove one embedded testicle and leave a normal one be. Some of the humane societies, like the Dog's Trust, subsidize neutering and the registered vets charge one price whether it is a spay or a castration. There are cheaper rates too for pet owners who are on state benefits or live in council housing. Castration of a cryptorchid could be compared to spaying a bitch, both involve cutting into the abdomen.

Alba said:
also in the whippet show thread is an article about Cornell University, US, study on genetics of canine cryptorchidismhttp://www.k9community.co.uk/forums/index....387&qpid=161162

Testicle naturally are descended into the scrotal sac. Dogs have a muscle (cremaster muscle) this muscle is responsible for lowering or bringing the testicles closer to the body depending on the temperature. The testicles are kept at about 2 degrees lower than body temperature, this is optimum for storing sperm. If a testicle is fully descended into the scrotum it is therfore being kept at body temperature and this is why some dogs, not all, get tumours on the abdominal/ ingranal testicle. This is the reason why it is better to castrate monorchid/cryporchid animals. Also the chances to a testicle torsion are higher in a undecended testicle.

fountainn said:
Alba said:
also in the whippet show thread is an article about Cornell University, US, study on genetics of canine cryptorchidismhttp://www.k9community.co.uk/forums/index....387&qpid=161162

Testicle naturally are descended into the scrotal sac. Dogs have a muscle (cremaster muscle) this muscle is responsible for lowering or bringing the testicles closer to the body depending on the temperature. The testicles are kept at about 2 degrees lower than body temperature, this is optimum for storing sperm. If a testicle is fully descended into the scrotum it is therfore being kept at body temperature and this is why some dogs, not all, get tumours on the abdominal/ ingranal testicle. This is the reason why it is better to castrate monorchid/cryporchid animals. Also the chances to a testicle torsion are higher in a undecended testicle.

So THAT'S why Zoomie's were hanging round his knees when he was on the sunlounger yesterday.... (w00t) :lol: I thought he looked 'baggy'.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back