The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Curiosity

Discussion in 'General Dog Forum' started by Darren82, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Darren82

Darren82 New Member Registered

We have a border collie. If me and my wife play fight he let's her hit me but if I so much as move towards her he jumps up and growls jumps around etc. Does any one know why he protects her but let's her hit me. Purely curiosity he never hurts me or my wife it's just something we have never figured out.

2. JudyN

JudyN Well-Known Member Registered

I'm just speculating but I would guess that either he's a bit more attached to your wife in general (he might see her as a more important resource, say if she feeds or walks him more often, but some dogs just do tend to attach themselves to one person), or he sees her as being more vulnerable - her punching you might look as if it's not going to cause damage, you punching her might look more convincing.

Either way, as he finds it unsettling, I'd try not to play fight in his presence and stick to cuddles!

Darren82 likes this.
  3. Drift's Owner

Drift's Owner New Member Registered

Is the dog a male or female? If it is male, it might see itself as the alpha male and might see you as 'attacking' his alpha female.

Darren82 likes this.
  4. JoanneF

JoanneF Well-Known Member Registered

The alpha and pack leadership theory was based on incorrect analysis and has since been thoroughly disproved. Please have a look at the article linked below. I would add to @Drift's Owner that as he is a Kelpie, force free handling will be imperative for such a sensitive breed.

The Alpha Dog Theory | Whole Dog Journal

5. Biker John

Biker John Well-Known Member Registered

Not going with the silly alpha male idea, but in my experience male dogs tend to defend females. In the same way that it is most unusual for a male dog to attack a female dog. Years ago we took in a large male, he was said to be a cross between a GSD and a Dane and he could have been. He was a lovely dog very easy to train and friendly, one day my wife said 'males are supposed to defend females so pretend to hit me and see what happens' so we had a pretend argument and I went to punch her, Bruce grabbed hold of my hand, didn't actually bite but I could feel his teeth pressing. So we both told him to relax and fussed him, a bit later my wife said I wonder what he would do the other way round and went to hit me. Bruce grabbed hold of MY hand again, he must have decided it was my fault somehow. So again we relaxed him. I worked shifts and while we had Bruce I had no worries at all about my wife taking the dogs out in the dark

JoanneF likes this.
  6. merlina

merlina Well-Known Member Registered

Do you know your dog's background? Maybe he has a memory this stirs up to do with a male and aggression...don't want to be a killjoy but be careful of doing things that excite your dog into protective behaviour. Dogs don't have our understanding of play fights nor do they always read a situation correctly. It's how lots of children get nipped in the family home!:eek:

7. Biker John

Biker John Well-Known Member Registered

Merlina, no we knew very little about him. And totally agree it was silly of us, but we were young.

8. merlina

merlina Well-Known Member Registered

Ah-h-! I'm not preachy, honestly. I speak as someone who must have frequently-flier miles at our local A&E!