The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Cushings disease

Squonk

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My 7yr old Rough Collie is about to be investigated for Cushings Disease.For the past year she has had at least 6 bouts of Cystitis and has been on antibiotics on each occasion.She has been very lethagic at times and has muscle weakness in her hind legs and appears flat footed at the front.I had told my vet that I was concerned that the dog was becoming more debilitated and her fur was dry and she had not had a moult since she was spayed two years ago.This vet had stated that it can be difficult to treat chronic cystitis and put all her symptoms down to this.I decided last week following another UTI to go to another vet for a 2nd opinion.After a thorough examination and taking bloods I was shocked to hear that my beautful girl has blood results that may indicate Cushings Disease.Have tried to read as much as I can about this illness but it sounds so scary.Does anyone have a dog that is currently being treated for Cushings?

Don't worry. Although it is surgical treatment, it is successful in most of the cases. After a particular time your dog will recover and will be healthy again. I was a vet at canadavetexpress.com and buyfleatickmedicine.com and had my own dog diagnosed with Cushing's disease. Treatment of adrenal dependent Cushing’s disease is by surgical removal of the cancerous adrenal gland. Adrenal gland tumors can spread to other parts of the body in which case all the cancer cannot be removed by surgery. Medical treatment may be given before surgery to reduce hormone levels before surgery. o, p’-DDD is not as effective in reducing signs in pets with adrenal-dependent Cushing’s disease as it is in pets with pituitary-dependent Cushing’s disease. Trilostane may be effective in controlling the signs of Cushing's in some dogs with adrenal tumors.

The prognosis for pituitary-dependent Cushing’s disease with treatment is usually good. Some signs will disappear quickly and others gradually. Appetite and water consumption usually return to normal in a few weeks whereas full return of the fur may take several months.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back