The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Cut 'stopper' Pad

Holliepup

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hollie got a bad cut to her stopper pad on a flint. It healed up but keeps opening up when she catches it running around. We had her operated on to stitch it up and it looked ok but then before long she tore it again. We try to put a bandage on but cant do this every single time she goes for a run, and so are thinking that we should have the pad removed.

Does anyone have experience of this?

What does the vet say about that? Have a look at the skeleton of a dog; there is a bone behind the pad. The pad actually hits the ground when Whippet is in full gallop. I can see many reasons why NOT to try removing the pad.

Ruby injured her stopper pad a while back and the vet removed it because it was so ripped and damaged. It took a little while to heal but I can honestly say we've not had any problems with it since... she's always out catching bunnies and she's still racing successfully.

If you decide to keep trying to get it to heal... that elastic flexi-wrap is very good and quick to put on. We used it with one of those surgical rubber gloves to keep ruby's leg dry and clean while it healed.

Here's the stopper pad topic I put up...

http://www.k9community.co.uk/forums/index....topic=41645&hl=

and I'll take a pic to let you see what it looks like now.

i had a dog who cut he's stop pad i had to give him cage rest for 10 days and walk him out on the lead that healed realy well

Last edited by a moderator:
The pad did heal, but it has a nasty scar that is very weak and she keeps reopening it. We keep it dry and covered and it reheals but sooner or later she ends up opening it again. It was the vet who said we might take if off, but I was keen to have it stitched because I didnt really like the idea or removing it. She had to go under for this, and I really dont like the idea of keep having her anaethetised again, but now think I probably should have had it off in the first place? Im afraid every time she opens it she might get an infection.

Holliepup said:
The pad did heal, but it has a nasty scar that is very weak and she keeps reopening it. We keep it dry and covered and it reheals but sooner or later she ends up opening it again.  It was the vet who said we might take if off, but I was keen to have it stitched because I didnt really like the idea or removing it.  She had to go under for this, and I really dont like the idea of keep having her anaethetised again, but now think I probably should have had it off in the first place?  Im afraid every time she opens it she might get an infection.
Use Elastoplast, Holly can keep that on and it can be changed as and when necessary. I use the fabric type one with the cushioning and if that does not go all the way round the leg I then use the fabric tape without cushioning to go across the gap. I find it stays on for days and it gives the pad a good chance to heal properly.

I have a pair of stopper boots for my girl who does her stoppers in mainly in the summer (they just velcro on) or I wrap them with vet wrap before she runs :)

Agree witht he above comment, you can buy little leather stopper pad protectors, I had some when I was racing one of my dogs, the racing peeps will know where to get them I got mine from the racing club.

K

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back