The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Cycling With Your Dog

gemsbok

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi I was woulding if any one go cycling with there dog?

I am thinking of doing it with Fleet (Very large greyhound), as I have been told it might help get his back legs stronger.

I knews to take him running with me which he enjoyed but I cannot keep the some pace going all the time.

I have found two differect types: Biker set de lux distance keeper and walky dog bike lead.

I would be greatful any input about it.

Michelle and Fleet.

I have taken my dogs {whippets} out on the bike the best bike I found after trying 2 or 3 types was the folding bike they have a short wheel base and no cross bar so if things go bad u can step off or simply stand up and let the bike go on where I walk my dogs there is a bloke on a mountaain bike wiith a akida type dog on a short lead cantering beside him as he cycles they do about 6 mile daily it seems to work for him

When he was younger I used to take William out on my bike. I had a bracket that fastened under the seat with somthing like a bungy lead that clippe onto his collar. I used a halti to fasten it to rather than his collar. I also made sure he'd been in the garden for a wee before we went out so that he didn't need to stop at the first tree he came too. I stopped taking him out on a bike some time ago as they were building new houses in our area and there was a lot of big lorries on the side streets that we used to get to the private road I took him a long.

Last edited by a moderator:
We take our whippets out on our bikes, we purchased a special attachment for our bikes, so that the dogs are safe, it was from a company called "bike your dogs" they are about £50. If you look the company up, it shows you how it works.

Janetta

My whippets just can't get the hang of the peddles :lol: :lol: sorry couldn't resist.

Hi, i cycle everyday with my dogs and bought this metal thing that fasterns onto the bike and then clips on dogs harness or collar but after nearly ending up in the canal a couple of times i now take them 2 at a time and hold their leads. Works better for me.

Thank's for all your input.

The folding bike sound a good ideal but the only think want I remember of them there are not very high off the ground. And Fleet is around 34ins and weighting in over 45kg I think he would take me.

Tonight I thought I would give us a go with the bike and me just holding onto the lead. Fleet got the hang of it better than me. I was all over the place (w00t) . I think I need to relearn how to ride a bike again.

All I am going to do is a bit a time and hopefuly I will get the hang of it.

I ride on non public roads sometimes when i'm out looking for one of mine that has disappeared :) and lead them back home . Me riding, dog trotting on lead. :) Not wanting to put a dampener on bike riding with dog etc, it is worth pointing out that it is against the law on a PUBLIC road to cycle and lead a dog. I was not aware of that until a police officer ( a relative ) pointed it out to me.

this is something ive often thought about doing Michelle but never got round to it.. it looks great fun though. :)

My whippets just can't get the hang of the peddles :lol: :lol: sorry couldn't resist.
:clown: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I used to do a paper round as a kid with my Border Collie on the lead with the bike, but that was one or two years ago in a small village...

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back