The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dark Blood 7 Days Post Mating

stonegrace

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Just hoping for some advice from other breeders.

My bitch was mated 3 times, last mating was exactly 1 week ago. She had pale "peach" coloured discharge around the time of the last mating. Now this morning ive noticed she has a very dark blood discharge from her vulva. Not a lot, but enough to spot her bed and have drops on the tip of her vulva.

Im hoping she isnt aborting any contents of conception

She has had a few "race arounds" with one of my other whippets once a day during their loony hour, but i wouldnt have thought this would affect a pregnancy and like most whippets - the run arounds are short bursts of energy then sleeping all day! Do any other breeders keep their bitches from exercising after mating? I crated her for 4 hours after each mating then allowed normal activity after that.

Does anyone have an ideas? I have started her on ABs and will do a swab.

Doesn't sound normal, maybe it's nothing, time will tell. I would keep a close eye on her just in case she is brewing a pyometra. I hope not for her sake and yours.

My bitch bled some quite dark heavy blood about 10 days after mating. I was obviously concerned at the time but she went on to have a healthy litter, so it isn't necessarily bad news but i'd get her checked out.

I made decision not to restrict exercise, but i didn't let them run loose with the others and get bashed about. They still came out for the same length walk's right up until a few days before giving birth. If we humans are fit, not over weight etc when we give birth it helps a great deal with an easy delivery and i believe the same for dogs too and thats why i think exercise so important. Mine would have gone stir crazy if kept confined to the house for weeks on end, i don't think that's fair.

Good luck and hope everythings okay.

Hello,

the way you describe it I would not be concerned at all!

A darkish discharge is exactly what can be expected at the end of each heat. And, by the way, all my bitches here go for four rather than the "normal" three weeks when in season.

Good luck with your litter!

Oh i hope so, thanks for your comments. I dont breed often so havent taken much notice of what the bloody discharge is like at the end of the season, i just know it gets lighter in colour usually and then dissapears. She didnt fall on her last season when mated (though she is a proven dam) so this is a precious litter!

Oh i hope so, thanks for your comments. I dont breed often so havent taken much notice of what the bloody discharge is like at the end of the season, i just know it gets lighter in colour usually and then dissapears. She didnt fall on her last season when mated (though she is a proven dam) so this is a precious litter!
my katie was the same as your girl on her first mating she missed but there was no dicharge so a friend of mine recommened frolic acid i gave it to her two months before her season and three weeks after mating and she has just had 10 lovely puppies dont be to worried about your girl they are all diffrent look forward in seeing your puppy pics

Last edited by a moderator:
wonder if she had a polyp that burst? just keep an eye on her, and get her checked out to be on the safe side. hope all goes well for her x

:eek: do you mean folic acid?? :eek: I like the sound of "frolic acid" though :thumbsup:

I know folic acid is recommended for pre-pregnant women, in other words if they are trying for a baby it is advisable to start taking it two months before conception, I think.

Is it seriously recommended for dogs? Anybody know?

I know folic acid is recommended for pre-pregnant women, in other words if they are trying for a baby it is advisable to start taking it two months before conception, I think.Is it seriously recommended for dogs? Anybody know?

YES it is. Many years ago there were issues with cleft palates in certain lines & everyone started using folic acid & the issues disappeared. I always give it to my bitches pre-mating & during pregnancy - haven't had a cleft palate in 15 years. Plus a boston breeder where cleft palates were rife thru the dogs swears by it, many of my friends in different breeds swear by it also ;)

Frolic acid does sound cute though :p

My girls will usually still bleed for a wee while after being mated & once I had a bitch have a bleed at 6wks which sent me into a panic, she was fine & had a healthy litter of 7... I think she should be fine, no need to panic as long as it doesn't get stinky & change colour.

It's important the girls stay fit while pregnant - I am concious that they don't get banged around by the others, but free running & walks are important, obviously in the last couple of weeks you want to make sure all risks of being knocked are eliminated.

Good luck for the litter - who are the parents???

If I get some FROLIC acid , will I get someone to FROLIC with too 8)

ok i spelt it wrong i will always use folic acid when i mate my girls i had 10 lovely puppies i was told it makes them more fertile and it does i didnt give it to rose and she had 6 pups i get my from dorwest herbs the person who told me about folic acid breeds lhasa apso's

ok i spelt it wrong i will always use folic acid when i mate my girls i had 10 lovely puppies i was told it makes them more fertile and it does i didnt give it to rose and she had 6 pups i get my from dorwest herbs the person who told me about folic acid breeds lhasa apso's

I could be wrong here and forgive me if I am but I honestly don't think Folic Acid has any effects on fertility whether in the animal kingdom or with humans,it is given prior to concieving & during the early stages of pregnancy (the first trimester) because it is a vitamin needed for cell renewal (to make new cells in the body) and is also a vit that the human body does'nt store particularly well....it is found in some foods spinach,broccoli,green beans,sprouts & potatoes and is added to some breads. It is vital in the early stages of pregnancy to help reduce the risk of spinal cord problems,cleft lip & palate,heart defect (congenital heart disease) & also the risk of a premature labour. I would suspect it will have the same effect in the canine whelping process. Indeed "Shenace" has already stated so above.

The amount of whelps that a bitch has is as far as I know (though someone may correct me on this) determined by the bitch herself & is usually inhereited...ie if her dam had a large litter then it is likely that she will too,I was told this many years ago by a real old time breeder & I have to say I have found it to be very true so far.

Jax...have you someone in mind to Frolic with???? :p

I could be wrong here and forgive me if I am but I honestly don't think Folic Acid has any effects on fertility whether in the animal kingdom or with humans,it is given prior to concieving & during the early stages of pregnancy (the first trimester) because it is a vitamin needed for cell renewal (to make new cells in the body) and is also a vit that the human body does'nt store particularly well....it is found in some foods spinach,broccoli,green beans,sprouts & potatoes and is added to some breads. It is vital in the early stages of pregnancy to help reduce the risk of spinal cord problems,cleft lip & palate,heart defect (congenital heart disease) & also the risk of a premature labour. I would suspect it will have the same effect in the canine whelping process. Indeed "Shenace" has already stated so above.

The amount of whelps that a bitch has is as far as I know (though someone may correct me on this) determined by the bitch herself & is usually inhereited...ie if her dam had a large litter then it is likely that she will too,I was told this many years ago by a real old time breeder & I have to say I have found it to be very true so far.

You're correct, Folic Acid is a vitamin not a fertility drug and can have no bearing on the number of babies or puppies conceived. One of my bitches had four pups in each of her two litters, her two daughters produced six puppies each so that rather scotches that theory!!! One of the grand daughters of this bitch has had three litters, 5 then 4 then 6, I think it depends on when you mate them and how fertile the dog is :lol: Ten puppies is not common and IMO puts a bit strain on the poor mum. Lots of extras and wean early would be what I would do.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Its good to know others have seen this type of bleeding, although i dont think it is normal (its definately not post season blood, its much darker than any bleeding she had during her season and that tapered off anyway) i can hold out a hope that she has some embyos that have implanted. She doesnt have a pyometra either so i can be thankful for that too.

Lynda - she is my home bred bitch out of 2 Swifthund whippets, she is also a Cruiser grand daughter. The sire is also a Cruiser grandson and is also Swifthund and Statuesque lines. A tight line breeding, so it could go either way really. At this stage im just hoping she is in whelp, seeing as she missed last time she was mated.

Yes the number of whelps is entirely up to how many eggs the bitch ovulates and if those eggs are all fertilised by getting the timing right of the matings. Im not a fan of giving pregnancy supplements to dogs (despite being a midwife! :p ) and fingers crossed i havent had problems so far. I will have to research folic acid in dogs though now!

Anyway, ill keep her on ABs and keep my fingers crossed that im smelling puppy breath around the 24th October! :D

Folic Acid DEFINATELY isn't used for fertility, you are right on the button Pam ;) And I do agree that how many puppies also runs in familys with normal circumstances - I know of lines here where they produce 10 - 13 pups live at birth consistantly (mothers/daughters etc...). My guys tend to run in the 6's & 7's with the exception of our last litter that was 4 HOWEVER... this was an AI litter where down our end of the world, success is very scarce... so I would think a natural mating would produce a different result. It is the bitch who determins how many eggs she releases, but circumstances also come into play, ie... very old dog with low sperm count will make a difference, very young dog who's not been used before with the quality of his semen.... I mostly don't supplement (except for things like wheatgerm & a couple of things natural things for coat condition on some) but I swear by folic acid & wouldn't in a heartbeat consider not administering it to a bitch, like I said, it's been many years since experiencing cleft palates & it's not something I am willing to "test & measure" by not giving folic acid - bucket loads of other breeders in various breeds can't be wrong either ;)

I don't change anything in a bitches diet before pregnancy or the 1st 6 weeks of gestation. I just make sure she is wormed before breeding, and healthy. I think we can "over supplement" dogs as well.

Obstetricians recommend folic acid for humans wanting to get pregnant, to help lower the risk of spinal cord defects. Never heard of this being recommended for dogs.

I'm getting my vet to do an AI with frozen semen on a bitch next season. He has alot of experience with greyhounds plus keeps up to date with techniques. So heres hoping we get some more babies here next year. There was a thread ages ago about lack of success with whippet and frozen AI. I wonder if it's technique though. I know some in the USA that have had decent sized litters from frozen AI.

Anyway how is your bitch now? hope she doesn't have an infection or anything sinister like that.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back