Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dave Hancock Lurchers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopHoundDog

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Just want to ask if anyone has any information on hancock lurchers they wouldnt mind sharing with me?

I've heard they are really good dogs from one source, then conflicting information from someone else.

If someone could put some pics up of a few that would be great too.

Thanks

Hi,

Myself and partner have visited Dave Hancock lurcher on a few occasions.

He has alarge scale operation, and has successfully been breeding lurchers for over 30 years. He and his daughter are very knowlegable about the type of lurcher they breed.

The dogs are kept in good condition with plenty of space.....

They(the Hancock's) are friendly, intelligent and approachable.

Can I ask you the reason for your question?

Are you thinking of buying a lurcher?

We ourselves breed lurchers, of the rough coated kind.

We are looking for a lurcher pup to buy, just trying to do a lil research before we commit ourselves to one individual. I'm willing to wait for the right pup.

What is the make up of the pups you breed ?

hi

Our lurcher is deerhound/greyhound not a first cross.

We breed rough coated lurchers which we believe to be a true lurcher,

please see our lurcher and her pups on our web page

www.kford-hounds.co.uk and read the guest book.

Paula

Funny enough, I was on your website earlier.

Jenny is a beautiful looking bitch, she is my idea of a lurcher.

John the greyhound/bearded collie/border collie; looks like a little bear, are the puppies from that litter born ?

Id love to see pics of them if they are, interesting to see how they turned out, I Bet they are top notch.

I think the problem with Hancock bred lurchers is that as he has so many he doesn't have time to test them all in the field so if you want a worker it is a bit of a gamble.

I have also heard from some people that the kennels are heartbreaking, but having never been myself I don't know.

Of the only two I know personally one is one of the best under 23" lurchers i know- great courser and good in the show ring and the other is very beautiful, but hopeless at working- really can't chase for toffee.

So it really depends what you want it for.

Have you had a look at his site- www.lurcherpuppies.co.uk

Thanks OEH, interesting stuff.

Didnt know he had a site, thanks again.

hi, i think hancock doesnt work any of his dogs. in my oppinion you could find a much better home reared lurcher pup somewhere else. regards

From what I've seen of them. Hancock lurchers can work and be very,very good. They can also be shown and ditto. They can also be great family pets.

They can also be none of those things. Seems to me that it depends on who owns them. Like most dogs really.

Thing about lurchers is that there is a lot of talk about which type/line is the best. :- "

You pays your money and you takes your choice. Hopefully you'll have done some homework before paying your money. ;) 'cause it's all horses for courses. Look at what you want from your dog and go from there.

BeeJay said it all really :thumbsup:

From personal experience can only add that I have bought very few puppies, but I would say the best (in all ways) I ever owned came from a cramped Council flat full of noise, children and other dogs, he was bomb proof! Not quite as advertised I may quickly add so ended up looking like a large cousing greyhound - where I believed I was buying a greyxdeer with a dash of borzoi - its alright they guy said the rough coat will come later :- " ...well that dog worked his way into many unwilling hearts and has never left mine...so accept there will never be another Zen.

Mostly after that can only say if I took on a 'retired' dog from a known home they did not disappoint in any way at all...as I only took from folks I knew had raised them right.

The odd 'rescue' have also been a complete delight, and special in their way, every one.

Never forget you only get what you put in, regarless of 'pedigree' or what the parents have done ... excellent working collies for example produce pups ... thats all. What you then make of them is up to you ... but even with the best gene pool and training may not make a better dog than either parent :wacko: but hopefully because you are considering many aspects you are forming your own blueprint, which I wish you every joy with :huggles: :luck:

Thanks for your replies, I understand what your saying.

I know there is luck to most situations, especially so with how progeny will turn out, But I belive to some extent you make your own luck.

I think unless you breed pups yourself though, to some extent you take a risk. The dog is only as good as the person who sells you it, I suppose.

The thing that makes me feel bad about buying a pup though, is all the unwanted older dogs in rehoming centres etc :(

Lurcher linkIf you feel that you would like to give an unwanted pup or young'un a chance then try these folks.

Kaye'll rehome to a good working home.

Hi David Hancock is the only person i'd buy a lurcher from. I own 3 of his dogs and they are great. They are excellent workers, do well in the ring and racing and are great family companions. The lurchers i have bred from his dogs have also turned out brilliantly.

David Hancock is a knowledgeble man and knows his dogs. I wouldn't say he is the best puppy person because he doesn't meet all the pups requirements but the pups turn out absolute crackers and you can guarantee the dogs true breeding from him.

ive got a colly x from hancocks and she hasnt got one bit of nastyness in her shes a lovely dog wiv alot of energy

I think its always hard to run a large scale breeding programme well, without spending lots of money and with lots of help from outside sources.

The same as quite a few on here, I cant really pass judgement, thats why I started this thread, But some of these stories do make me dubious about his dogs.

Thanks again for all your posts.

Hancock has made a living, and good luck to him..BUT , a whippet doesn't need collie in it to make a working dog...they can creep, quarter, bring to hand, etc., etc. and never have been near a collie.....it's all hype.....but, if you've got a nice one (and you may well have)...good luck to you.

If you want a working whippet, find a good line and go for it, they will work as good as any lurcher, old Piper will work like a spaniel......and anyone can come with me and watch, if they doubt.

View attachment 20515

sparky said:
hi sighthound lover, hancocks pups turn out ok if he sells them to new owners. all the average coloured pups tend not to be sold and meet a fate worse than??. i would not endorse any puppy farmers on this forum..
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have owned two hancock red merle collie x greyhound lurcher bitches for 10 years. They are pets and never worked. Its a shame to hear that Hancock is putting money first and not the reputation that he gained as the best lurcher breeder in the UK, if this is the case.

I wouldn't hesitate to own more Hancock lurchers but these comments do make you worry. My two are different in temperament, same sire, but different greyhound dam must have had an effect. One is placid, but the other can be irritable, especially around visiting children.

Lovely pets though and wouldn't own any other type of dogs. Lurch on !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back