The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Deaf Dogs

freddie

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
hi , can anyone help me with this,

my daughter has just bought a pure white jack russel puppy that appears to be deaf,

i know that certain white breeds are prone to this ie dalmations, and i wonder if anyone has any experiance in training a deaf puppy or if there are any books on the subject, i,m sure it is possible i just don,t know myself,

if anyone can help me with this i would be very grateful.

freddie

I've never had a deaf-from-birth dog, though I've had two dogs now who became deaf in old age and who have adapted very well to learning hand signals etc. I do know others who have deaf dogs, though, and with a bit of patience and imagination they have done wonders training them.

A few links you might find useful:

http://www.deafdogs.org/

http://www.deafk9.com/

There was also a previous post about training a deaf dog here:

http://www.k9community.co.uk/forums/index....showtopic=34735

Good luck, I hope your daughter has loads of fun with her puppy :luck:

On dog borstal they had a dog that was deaf once, I can’t remember what breed it was now.

But what they did was used collar with a hand control that made it vibrate, so they could get the dogs attention if it wasn’t looking.

They started pressing the button and giving a treat then as it progressed they would open their arms to get it to come to them in a recall.

The vibration was gentle only to get attention not a way of disciplining the dog.

I thought this was a clever idea –hope it helps.

My sister has a deaf English Bull, she's trained to hand signals and doesn't seem at all phased by her deafness.

One thing she was told was that deaf dogs like to be in a covered bed / cage etc, possibly to do with them feeler safer as they aren't aware of anything coming from behind etc. Charlie is often found under the bed, in the wardrobe, inside drawers and even knocked the bath panel off so she could get underneath. :- "

Its interesting that the dog in question is white. Im sure I read something that said there is something linked to the genes of dogs who are predonimantly white that makes them susceptible to deafness. I'm sure your sister will relish the challenge of training a dog in different ways. Good luck.

Jessr123 said:
Its interesting that the dog in question is white.  Im sure I read something that said there is something linked to the genes of dogs who are predonimantly white that makes them susceptible to deafness.  I'm sure your sister will relish the challenge of training a dog in different ways.  Good luck.

Deafness is often found in white dogs, particularly dogs who have a lot of white on their head. I'm sure it is an over-simplification, but the way it was explained to me is that the inner part of a dog's ear contains lots of tiny hairs which are necessary for them to hear properly. When the hairs inside the ears are white (ie don't contain any pigment) they don't develop properly, so the dog is deaf.

Interestingly apparently some dogs that appear white (eg Westies) are in fact very pale grey so don't have this problem.

We've had 2 deafies - one probably from birth was a rescue (KC spaniel) and she was trained alongside my whippet - we gave verbal and hand signals and Rosie copied what Polly did - and got a reward when she got it right, along with Polly. They both did their silver Good Citizen award -would have gone for gold too if I'd not been ill.

The other has gone deaf in old age and responds to hand signals well. She is also nearly blind, so they have to be done close up, but she is 14 now, so it isn't so important.

Good luck with the pup. if it has a companion to copy, it will come on really fast! :luck:

pollyanna said:
We've had 2 deafies - one probably from birth was a rescue (KC spaniel) and she was trained alongside my whippet - we gave verbal and hand signals and Rosie copied what Polly did - and got a reward when she got it right, along with Polly.  They both did their silver Good Citizen award -would have gone for gold too if I'd not been ill.The other has gone deaf in old age and responds to hand signals well.  She is also nearly blind, so they have to be done close up, but she is 14 now, so it isn't so important.

Good luck with the pup.  if it has a companion to copy, it will come on really fast!  :luck:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back