The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dermdectic Mange!!!

welshbunny

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello all.. I am new on here... I am searching on every doggie related site for info, as well as fun??

BUT, I am really looking for some sound advice for CURE for Dermadex that dreaded MITE.. Dermadectic mange...

My Scottie has had it since she was a puppy.. It was horrendous at first, NOW 16 month..STILL got it still dipping in the horrid ALUDEX mite wash..Though thankfully only her feet?? The Vet says Jenny, my Scottie may never get rid of it... I have seen stuff in the USA..BUT not easy to ship over to UK..

Please is there anyone out there with a sure fire CURE... Or something less dramactic and costly as Aludex... Vet says no cure. .They are not always right as we know..Please help....

Thank you,

Welshbunny and Jenny..... :D

Benzyl benzonate will cure it, its a product used for treatment of scabies.

It can be bought online from a chemist.

Run it into the skin, 3/4 times daily

sorry no advise but welcome to k9 any pics of your baby ,are you from wales ?? :D

I have heard that Thornit is very good for getting rid of mites. It's the white powder that you use in dogs ears to keep them clean & kills earmites.

Your dog will probably be scratching & that is why the feet will be particularly affected as they are in contact with the mites when scratching.

Try rubbing Thornit inbetween the toes (just before feeding is a good time & then the dog is more interested in dinner than messing with her feet)

It certainly can't hurt & may well be a great help.

Vets are not a big fan of this as it usually works so well that they don't see the dog again & lose custom :- "

I hope you manage to help Jenny:(

nicky12 said:
sorry no advise but welcome to k9 any pics of your baby ,are you from wales ?? :D

HELLO, THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY..YES FROM NORTH WALES, CONWY!!!

WILL SORT PIC OF JENNY... YOURS ARE ALL ADORABLE...

BEST WISHES,

WELSHBUNNY..

It known in Dobes & i know of a bitch that had it & passed it on to her entire litter.

She was treated with DERASECT mange wash by the vet & it was brilliant cured it totally & it was one of the worst cases i had ever seen.

Pups were treated when old enough too & never had a days problem.

J.T. said:
I have heard that Thornit is very good for getting rid of mites. It's the white powder that you use in dogs ears to keep them clean & kills earmites.Your dog will probably be scratching & that is why the feet will be particularly affected as they are in contact with the mites when scratching.

Try rubbing Thornit inbetween the toes (just before feeding is a good time & then the dog is more interested in dinner than messing with her feet)

Vets are not a big fan of this as it usually works so well that they don't see the dog again & lose custom :- "

HELLO , THANK YOU FOR YOUR RELPY AND INFO..I WILL TRY AND SORCE SOME THORNIT... YES, VETS NOT VERY HELPFUL UNLESS YOU BUY FORM THEM..

AS I SAID , SHE IS BETTER THAN SHE WAS..HE FEET WERE RAW AT ONE POINT...NOT TO MENTION VARIOUS OTHER PLACES...

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP.. HE CHEEKS WERE BALD , AS OBVIOUSLY TEH HAIR FALLS OUT BIG TIME.. THE MITE LIVE UNDER THE SKIN IN THE HAIR FOLICLES...IT IS PASSED ON BY THE MOTHER TO PUPPIES, BUT IS USUALLY FOUGHT OFF..BUT IF THE IMMUNE SYSTEM IS POOR THEN THE PUPPY CANNOT FIGHT THEM OFF...

A RIGHT CARRY ON... SHE IS FIGHTING FIT NOW IN ALL WAYS , JUST STILL SOME HORRIBLE THINGS LEFT IN HER FEET..

ALL THE BEST, WELSH BUNNY

welshbunny said:
J.T. said:
I have heard that Thornit is very good for getting rid of mites. It's the white powder that you use in dogs ears to keep them clean & kills earmites.Your dog will probably be scratching & that is why the feet will be particularly affected as they are in contact with the mites when scratching.

HELLO , THANK YOU FOR YOUR RELPY AND INFO..I WILL TRY AND SORCE SOME THORNIT... YES, VETS NOT VERY HELPFUL UNLESS YOU BUY FORM THEM..

AS I SAID , SHE IS BETTER THAN SHE WAS..HE FEET WERE RAW AT ONE POINT...NOT TO MENTION VARIOUS OTHER PLACES...

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP.. HE CHEEKS WERE BALD , AS OBVIOUSLY TEH HAIR FALLS OUT BIG TIME.. THE MITE LIVE UNDER THE SKIN IN THE HAIR FOLICLES...IT IS PASSED ON BY THE MOTHER TO PUPPIES, BUT IS USUALLY FOUGHT OFF..BUT IF THE IMMUNE SYSTEM IS POOR THEN THE PUPPY CANNOT FIGHT THEM OFF...

A RIGHT CARRY ON... SHE IS FIGHTING FIT NOW IN ALL WAYS , JUST STILL SOME HORRIBLE THINGS LEFT IN HER FEET..

ALL THE BEST, WELSH BUNNY

With the best will in the world, there is no way you will kill the Dermadectic mange mite with Thornits Powder.

I can tell you this from experience & beleive you me everything was tried & the only thing that got rid of it completely was DERASECT mange wash.

You may not like vets but there are some things that you can only get from a vet & Derasect is one of them.

Ask your vet about using injectable ivermectin. It is off-licence but can be very effective in cases in which Aludex is failing. However, some cases really can't be treated satisfactorily.

Benzyl benzoate will not work, nor will Thornit. Demodex mites live within the surface layer of the skin, they don't crawl around on top. They are also extremely resilient. You may find the Aludex is more effective if you shampoo the dog with Etiderm first.

ILoveKettleChips said:
Ask your vet about using injectable ivermectin.  It is off-licence but can be very effective in cases in which Aludex is failing.  However, some cases really can't be treated satisfactorily.
Benzyl benzoate will not work, nor will Thornit.  Demodex mites live within the surface layer of the skin, they don't crawl around on top.  They are also extremely resilient.  You may find the Aludex is more effective if you shampoo the dog with Etiderm first.

What about advocate?? will this work i've been told it's quite effective

Used Bob Grass Skincure on Blaze when her coat fell out and her skin started to go scaly. Don't think it was mites so much as hormones (first "normal" season she'd had since her first one).

Either way it worked, stunk, but worked.

:luck: :luck:

Failing everything get in touch with some of our avid knitters and I'm sure they can rustle up a pair of Westie Bedsocks :D

mally said:

Hi Mally Advocate can be used for Demodex, but I have not seen effective results when used. Maybe for "mild cases" if there is such a thing :- "

mally said:
ILoveKettleChips said:
Ask your vet about using injectable ivermectin.  It is off-licence but can be very effective in cases in which Aludex is failing.  However, some cases really can't be treated satisfactorily.
Benzyl benzoate will not work, nor will Thornit.  Demodex mites live within the surface layer of the skin, they don't crawl around on top.  They are also extremely resilient.  You may find the Aludex is more effective if you shampoo the dog with Etiderm first.

We use Advocate,and have found it very effective,As it also kills ear mites ,fleas and certain types and worms,is well worth a try.

Amandax

Although Advocate has a licence for Demodex, like Claire in practice I haven't found it to be effective. So far the dermatologists I have spoken to about it are pretty negative too :(

I came because I had a nagging suspicion that I might have been unclear - to clarify: an injectable version of ivermectin (we use Panomec) can be given orally to treat demodectic mange. I also should have mentioned that this treatment is inadvisable in collies and collie crosses.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back