The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

devon & somerset whippet racing club

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Just to let everyone know that we have had a few setbacks this year. First we had rain from nov 2000- feb 2001 which put our track 4 foot under water, our chairman Mick Hinson worked hard to get the trackgood enough to race & train on so we had a training day on the first Sunday in March & since then our track & footpaths have been shut by the ministry of agriculture due to the outbreak of foot & mouth outbreak in Devon. So not only cant we race we cant even walk our dogs the only thing we can do is to get the track in top condition for our open weekends in june.Are there any other clubs shut due to the foot & mouth? will keep you posted on our situation.

At the moment us non ped's are a bit in the dark about F&M, the fed open at kinsley was cancelled last week but we were able to race at highgate greyhound stadium yesterday (11/3/01) and apparentley the bend champs are still on. At the moment all anyone can suggest is ring before you set off.

Everyone in my area are in the same position as far as dog walking goes, we are not fenced off but there are signs everywhere so the poor whippets are being road walked everyday around the streets.

If I here any news about clubs/opens being cancelled i'll post it, I hope fellow racers will do the same.

Thanks for looking in, any news on anything keep us posted.

I am sorry to hear you cannot race due to the recent outbreak of F&M and my thoughts to everyone else affected by this outbreak.  At the moment we can still race our dogs (if the weather lets us) but some country parks and paths are out of bounds.  At this moment in time there are no cases in our area.  We are booked to come to Devon again this year for your events in June and we hope to see you then (outbreak permitting).  Keep us informed as to the latest news.

just to let you know the whippet derby has been cancelled( pack up your'e caravans).

All opens which have been cancelled or postponed are in this months whippet news if in doubt ring.

Hi Vernon

Sorry to hear about all the problems F&M is causing for yourself,  being surrounded by farmland I know what you mean.   The dogs have forgotten what a lead looks like I think.   Looking forward to coming down in June.

I have heard rumours through the grapevine that the June opens are to be cancelled due to F&M.   Is there any chance you  can let me know if there is any truth in these rumours as I look upon my break in Devon as my holidays but it wouldn't be the same without the racing if you know what I mean.   Hope the rumours are just that RUMOURS.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back