The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dew Claw Cover ?

BRI&SHELLI

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi.

My pup never had his dew claw removed before i got him.

He is now 7 months old.

I was thinking of racing him (for fun), but I do not want his dew claw to get ripped.

I have noticed that some people put covers on the dogs legs.

Are these covers available to buy ?

Where can I get them ?

Are they any good ?

Thanks

Brian.

Hi Brian,

you wont get many replies on a sunday as most of the pedigree crowd are out racing, Wish i was myself as the wife and my dogs went to wigan to race on friday leaving me to work!!

Most pedigree whippets have their Dew claws removed and use Vetwrap to protect the stopper pads from getting cut at the end of racing when the dogs stop suddenly. This will probably be enough to protect the dew claw as well but if you want to be on the safe side you can buy leather protectors from the Greyhound and whippet shop. ( previously in Walthamstow, But i believe he has now relocated to essex) Search greyhoundandwhippet on google to find him. Vetwrap is availible in any Equine or horse supply shop. Good luck racing!!

Jim

Hi Brian'

GiveTerry and Sue Ward ring on 01264 781144. They do everything a whippet could possibly want, and made to measure if necessary. They do mail order but attend most shows and race meetings around the country. I'm sure they can help.

Personall I've found the leather protectors a prone to slipping round on the dogs leg. Vetwrap is safer but obviously more costly in the long run.

Personall I've found the leather protectors a prone to slipping round on the dogs leg. Vetwrap is safer but obviously more costly in the long run.
I agree

You can buy in bulk from equestrian stores on ebay :thumbsup:

Thanks guys.

Your help is again - much appreciated.

Cheers. :thumbsup:

brionlinework said:
Hi.
My pup never had his dew claw removed before i got him.

He is now 7 months old.

I was thinking of racing him (for fun), but I do not want his dew claw to get ripped.

I have noticed that some people put covers on the dogs legs.

Are these covers available to buy ?

Where can I get them ?

Are they any good ?

Thanks

Brian.

I have always used insulating tape! It doesn't get waterlogged and still sticks in the wet. and you get lots of colours!! :D

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back