The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Diaorrhea

kirsty

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi All

I was wondering if any of you would have any experience in upset tummys in dogs. Last Monday one of my cats had bad Diaorrhea and sickness. After starving him for 24hrs he was ok. All three cats are housecats so maybe Megan (the dog) brought it in as two days later Wednesday she had it. I then starved her for 24hrs then gave her two light meals of cooked fresh chicken and rice she was ok for a whole day not going at all then the next day she had it again I called the vet on Saturday they said starve her and on Sunday (yesterday) I called the vet again as she still had it on Sat night. So they said to starve her again all day yesterday and bring her in today. I thought last night she was better as she had not been all day and last night she went and it was a properly formed stool. However she jumped off the bed through the night and must have went down stairs to the door and went on the stairs, still properly formed stools but a really bad smell. I never knew this until the 2nd time she jumped off the bed and I went down and discovered it and took her out and she went again! She hasn't been again yet today and we have an appointment at the vet at 4.30. All she has had to eat since Wed is 2 small portions of chicken and rice. So it is strange she is still going as her tummy must be very empty? Do you think it is normal for a vet to tell you to starve a dog for so long? I hope I get antibiotics or something as it must be a bad virus. I hope she settles back down again at night once she is better as someone said now that she is used to going out through the night she will want out at night all the time. Have any of you had this experience? She won't go in the garden either I have to take her up to the grass up the road. I wish I could get her to go in the garden as it would be so much easier if she is going to want out through the night from now on. My Mum thinks she will settle back into going out at 10.30 and then 7am next morning once I get her tummy back under control. Poor wee girl she must be starving she is such a picky eater at the best of times and is getting really thin.

Kirsty

Hope Megan is feeling better soon :thumbsup:

Julie

Thanks Julie,

I do hope the vet gives her something to clear it up. It's obviously more than a 24hr thing. She looks depressed to say the least.

Kirsty

Hi. My eldest Whippet sometimes gets an upset tummy. She never has a problem settling at night again even if she has got me up several times. I usually keep her on cooked rice and a little bit of cooked chicked for a couple of days. Have to say she is usually only bad for 24 hours though. I also give her half a teaspoon of Kaolin and Morphine ( my vet said it was fine to do this). Don't give too much as it can have the opposit effect. I would think a vet visit a good idea as it has gone on for a few days. Hope she feels better soon.

My Vets don't recommend starving a dog with a gastric upset any more but just to feed bland food in small quantities (i.e. chicken/rice or even Chappie). This is OK as far as my own dogs are concerned because they are fed a meat/mixer diet anyway but I would have concerns about totally changing a dog's food if it was only fed complete feed because I think you are asking for an even more upset digestion by suddenly changing the food!!!

If the diarrhoea has gone on longer than 24 hours then it should be treated with antibiotics by your Vet.

It has gone on for a while, hasn't it? Probably just as well you're getting it checked out. If it is viral then antibiotics are a waste of time. Antibiotics should only really be given to dogs with diarrhoea if they have a temperature, are passing blood or if a bacterial cause has been identified definitively. Your vet will be able to give her somethng to restore normal balance in her gut though, and hopefully she'll be back to normal soon. :luck:

Thanks for your replys

There is no blood in it but up until Saturday night it was very mucousy and a strange orangey yellow colour sorry to be so discriptive! She has definitely not eaten anything out of the ordinary and is only usually on James Wellbeloved biscuits. She gets some chicken if I get a chicken for us but that's about it apart from the odd biscrok or Bonio as a treat. I think it must be some kind of virus. When I called the vet I asked about giving her some of Kaolin paedriatric suspension for kids but the receptionist said to let it get out her system naturally. You can't get the Morphine Kaolin up here.

I hope Megan is like your Whippet Juley and she settles back into a nightly sleeping routine!

Will let you all know how the vet goes tonight.

Thanks again

Kirsty

Sorry no advice but good luck hope she's better soon :luck: :luck:

My Robbie got diaorrhea the day after the champs. I thought he was just hyped up as he was racing the day before and won,,I just fed him his normal dinner, but when we got home on the Monday it was worse. I fed him only chicken, the Tuesday he was still the same, but a wee hit more happier,,so he got only chicken again, on the Wednesday he was still bad with the diaorrhea, so was going to take him to the vet the next day, but on the Thursday he was fine. I started to give him pasta, with the chicken and gave him tiny but frequent meals. By the weekend he was back to normal and putting weight back on, the other 2 dogs never got it :D

Hope Megan is well soon :) :luck:

Once you have been to the vet you will feel much happier than you do at present! As a rule of thumb, if tummy bugs don't clear up in 48 hrs with starving them for 24 hrs and then light boiled rice and chicken, I take the dog to the vet. But, if it's a pup, then I will only wait 12 hrs - which in practice means a day or a night.

If you go on the web and do a search for Canine Chemist you will find all sorts of goodies that are available for purchase for the dog/s of your heart. It is remarkable what is for sale, and at a reasonable cost. But to my mind the vet is always my first port of call. My husband says the vet doesn't see me when I walk in, she sees a mobile pound sign!!! :luck:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the advice. Just got back from the vets. He never actually said what it was. He gave her an injection of Colvasone which he said was a kind of anti inflamatory mixed with antibiotic and 12 Salazopyrin tabs I have to start the tabs tomorrow a quarter twice daily. It'll take about three weeks to get through twelve! When he gave her the jab he said she looks like a squeeler and he was right when he took it out she squeeled for her life :( He also done her anal glands which were full. In the past few weeks I saw her dragging her behind along the floor and I thought it was maybe worms, so wormed her silly me! How often are you meant to get those done I forgot to ask? He said to try her with a wee bit chicken tonight. Hope I'm not up again through the night :eek:

That Canine chemist sounds great I shall go and have a look, thanks.

Kirsty

Just wondered if anyone knew a good way to give Kaolin. Megans diarrhoea came back Thursday night with a vengance so have starved her for 24 hours again and started to give her Kaolin by syringe squirted into her mouth. I seem to be getting more over me than down her throat as she clamps her mouth shut, shakes her head and walks backwards! Absolute nightmare, there must be an easy way!

Also was wondering if any of you have used James Wellbeloved Ocean Fish and if so did it cause an upset tummy. As I am wondering if I should maybe change biscuits as well. I had tried Arden Grange but she does not like it and the Fish James Wellbeloved seems to be the only flavour of that she likes. I have just came back from the pet shop with a bag of the Turkey and rice flavour to try, once I can get her toilet back on a normal steading. I will give her Coley and the inside of a baked potato mashed together for a few days, as this is what her previous owner said to try. I know Royal Canin and Hills are good as well, may have to send for some samples as she is such a fussy eater at the best of times but need something that will keep her digestion ok. She has had this upset tummy now for nearly a week and a half and the anti inflammatory's don't seem to be working. Maybe I should try another vet as they might give her something else like an antibiotic.

Kirsty

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back