The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Diarrhoea in 11 year old boxer dog

Nancy Baker

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi my boxer has been a fit and healthy dog with just a tendency to go off his food sometimes and when we change it he gets
an upset tummy for a couple of days,
Recently he has had continuous Diarrhoea really bad smell and wind.. so we went to vet who did a bowel sample which showed a bacterial infection, so he was given a course of antibiotics and pro-kolin to thicken his stools.. still had diarrhoea so blood tests and a further stool sample showed infection clear, bloods all ok no liver or kidney failure.. we then paid for a scan which also showed nothing up..
He is now taking a course of steroids hoping this will help him.. but unfortunately he still has diarrhoea like a tap but not smelling as infection is clear.. he has gone from 28kg and Currently 22kg losing weight still rapidly but he is ok in himself still wants to play and very lively..
The vet has said that maybe he has a mass somewhere so could do further investigations.. I’m not worried about the cost but I do feel that they just don’t know what to do and are charging me £34 everytime I speak with them for another consultation and never send over what they have agreed to send me.
I’m so desperate for answers I don’t want to put him down as he’s so well in himself it’s just the weight loss.. he’s waiting to be let out for the toilet so he’s controlling himself never been indoors!!

Yes, I second the second opinion. I hope you get some answers soon, and find it's something fixable.

And I third it! Good luck with the results. It can take time to recover from a severe gut infection. Was it giardia?

Antibiotics kill off the good gut bacteria as well as the bad, so you might find natural yoghurt might help (goat's if you can get it) . It may not fix it but it should help.

Ronnie has a really sensitive tummy it has got a lot better since I put him on Pooch&Mutt Bionic Biotics supplement,Have you tried him on a bland diet such as white fish and mashed potato,chicken and rice and I find hard boiled egg works very well:)

My late American Bulldog girl was diagnosed with Pancreatitis after a bout of diarrhoea. Get it checked out as that causes a lot of weight loss too.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back