The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Digestive Disorders

peony

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
:nuke: As some of you may have seen, from a seperate post, Flora has had a runny bottom, which to be honest, isnt that unusual for her when she is in season. Anyway, that seems to have righted itself ..................all throughout the time she was errrrrrrr 'loose' in that department, she was her usual boisterous, attention seeking self :wacko:

Now I am finding that her, Blue and my two hounds have the worst stinking farts in the entire history of smelly fartiness :x :x :x . Their diets havent changed in the slightest and they havent had access to anything they shouldnt have with regards to things they have eaten. I am desperate to know WHY this has happened and WHAT I do to stop it. I was actually woken up several times in the night by the odour of canine crappiness it is so bad! :nuke: All dogs are fit, well, healthy, happy critters and cant seem to understand why they are getting disgusted looks from me all the time!!! :teehee:

hi, we used to have a GSD that had the farts alot. she also used to throw up bile on a regular basis if she hadnt eaten. (this would happen if she hadnt eaten over night too) first thing in the morning she would be sick. :x

a local greyhound trainer advised me to give her a little brown bread if she had the runs, it binds them apparently, and charcoal biscuits for the farts. i dont know if it really worked or not as it was quite funny to finally find someone who could out fart my husband :lol: so we used to just ride it out, after all, whats a few stinks between friends. :D

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Its easy to say 'ride out the farts ' lol these are a mixture of odours; :x rotting flesh, bad milk, stinky socks and decayed brassicas and when its being emitted from 4 house members, in a smallish house, I hasten to add, its not the kind of thing one can ignore very easily. It just seems odd that they all have it at the same time and has made me wonder if its a medical thing, even though they are all in great form. Will however wander off today and get some charcoal tablets - any brand work better than others ? :blink:

peony said:
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Its easy to say 'ride out the farts ' lol these are a mixture of odours; :x   rotting flesh, bad milk, stinky socks and decayed brassicas and when its being emitted from 4 house members, in a smallish house, I hasten to add, its not the kind of thing one can ignore very easily. It just seems odd that they all have it at the same time and has made me wonder if its a medical thing, even though they are all in great form. Will however wander off today and get some charcoal tablets - any brand work better than others ?    :blink:

charcol works well as does feeding natural yogurt

i dont know if any brand is better than others, my local pet shop used to sell the shapes biscuits separated into the different kinds.

it is odd that all of them should have it together, if one of ours gets the farts its usually because they have over eaten or had too many treats :- " . i wonder if there is a doggy version of deflatine or some thing. if its still really bad i would have a chat with your vet on tuesday. in the mean time, nose plugs :D , air freshner :D , corks up bums :blink: , or if you are totally desperate, make them sleep down stairs :( . (but be prepared for them not to speak to you for at least a week)

Don't know if it works with :x smelly farts but someone on here told me when William had a runny bottom to give him goats milk yoghurt. I couldn't get any at the time but little Zoe had a runny tummy last weekend and we managed to get some . It was expensive but within 6 hours here bum was back to normal (w00t)

Peony's OH here. (formerly Rottie)

The dogs are still suffering with the most awful runny bottoms EVER..

has anyone ever had a BAD bag of dog food?? as it could be their food?

the odour is unbearable, it isnt just bad fart its ozone depletingly bad and makes my bile rise..

basil was caught short earlier galloping into the garden, I could hear his mixture of GAS and poo being emitted from the kitchen...

they are now on starvation and boiled water..

ANY help or similiar problems with anyone else at the moment ????? :eek:

I've never experienced anything like that sorry.

They could have caught a bug just like we do and the best thing to do is starvation and water, I've never boiled it though and once they have stopped pooing (the wind might take a little longer) start them on bland foods like plain chicken and rice or scrambled egg little and often.

You could try changing their current food to see if thats what causing the smelly problem :x

Are they drinking??

they are drinking fine, and are in fine fettle when out walking..

its just in the house... it smells F*&^%$g awful

I hope thye are better soon because I am scared to go out and leave them because of what will find when I get back

:x :x :x :x :x :x

It all seems very srange :blink:

How long have they been on this particular food?

I had Dippy on James Wellbeloved for a short time when she was younger and that did the same thing to her and when I changed her food the wind and runny bum stopped.

If it carries on it might be worth a trip to the vets.

Have you checked the sell by date on the bag?

If they still have runny bottoms I would definitely get some goats milk yoghurt it worked wonders with Zoe's runny bottom last week

Also some chicken and boild rice

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully your "bottom troubles" (w00t) will be over by now but for future ref whenever any of mine, usually Scrumpy (aka Pumpy Scrumpy :lol: )has a drippy bot I give her slippery elm powder & it works fast every time. Relief, for her & us!!

Sound good. Can you get it from HF shops?

Could keep it in the cupboard just in case. :- "

Good luck with the messy end :x :nuke:

Charcoal biscuits do seam to work with Zeb when he gets a bit windy :nuke:

This sounds very much like what happened to my two hounds in the past week. They were boarded for a fortnight and when I got them home they looked okay except that the smaller one was a bit underweight. The same evening I noticed his bowels were very runny. He also got me up during the night a few times. The next day both dogs had feces like soup and had to defecate very frequently. But they ate okay and were lively enough. I didn't do anything except feed them their normal dry food without adding anything, leaving out clean water as usual, and putting paper on the floor which I wouldn't normally need to do even when I leave them for several hours. I decided I would go to the vet if they weren't better by Tues, but they are both fine today. The problem lasted 4 or 5 days and it was far far worse than you'd expect from a change of feed; also the smaller dog has never been prone to loose stools from any cause.

The kennel owner claims the dogs were fine when they were in her kennel and that she hasn't had a problem with the other dogs at the kennel. But I am wondering that this is some bug that is doing the rounds amd of Flora's dogs and mine suffered from the same condition.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back