The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Dilemma with new baby

Discussion in 'General Dog Forum' started by Gat77, May 9, 2018.

1. Gat77

Gat77 New Member Registered

Hi, we’ve got a jack Russell fox terrier, she’s 10, beautiful and healthy, but a bit terratorial, she loves certain people like a puppy, and dislikes others with no apparent reason, we’ve just had a little baby boy, and we are both worried that when he’s toddling, he may grab her or poke her and she’ll go for him, she’s nipped people before, I really don’t want to lose her but we are both so worried, can anyone help!!

Violet Turner likes this.
  2. JudyN

JudyN Well-Known Member Registered

Congratulations on your new baby:)

I'm not an expert, but from what I've heard from other people, management will be a very large part of this. I would start right now getting her used to her own special place (a room if possible, or a penned off area) so she is only in the same place as the baby when under very close supervision. If you're interacting with the baby, reward her for going to her area or settling on her bed - obviously make sure she gets all the mental and physical stimulation she needs so she's ready to settle down calmly. You can also of course put your child in a playpen at times when he gets mobile.

I doubt you'll be able to change her occasional territoriality and nipping given her age, and your baby will be mobile for a long time before he can be relied on not to crawl over to her and poke her, so it really is about developing the instinct to manage them so it's second nature by the time you need to.

arealhuman and Violet Turner like this.
  3. Mad Murphy

Mad Murphy Well-Known Member Registered

Get a playpen put the child in it. Educate the child to respect the dog.

Violet Turner likes this.