The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Do people still use choke chains these days?

Gary Morris

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I can’t remember the last time I saw choke chains being sold in any local pet shops. When I was a kid in the 1980s a choke chain was the standard thing to use for a lot of people and I don’t remember seeing any dogs wearing harnesses apart from military dogs.

How come these days it’s much more common to see someone using a harness and a retractable lead than a choke chain and a short lead?

Whilst not trying to come across as defending the use of a choke chain, could the relaxation of using more stricter ways of training be to blame for there being so many uncontrollable dogs? I mean after all, there aren’t really any bad dogs, but bad owners.

Well first, a retractable lead should only be used with a harness because if the dog is able to build speed, and doesn't know when they are going to reach the end, the sudden stop could cause neck injury.

People are more aware now that the neck and throat are delicate, but a choke chain shouldn't tighten so much that at its tightest, it is tighter than a flat collar anyway. It isn't tools that teach a dog to walk nicely (although of course certain tools help), it's training.

I don't believe relaxation of stricter ways of training has led to more out of control dogs, I think it's a combination of there just being more dogs, owners who don't put the effort into training, poor breeding leading to dodgy temperaments and no doubt other things too.

I can’t remember the last time I saw choke chains being sold in any local pet shops. When I was a kid in the 1980s a choke chain was the standard thing to use for a lot of people and I don’t remember seeing any dogs wearing harnesses apart from military dogs.

How come these days it’s much more common to see someone using a harness and a retractable lead than a choke chain and a short lead?

Whilst not trying to come across as defending the use of a choke chain, could the relaxation of using more stricter ways of training be to blame for there being so many uncontrollable dogs? I mean after all, there aren’t really any bad dogs, but bad owners.

Really? ...and yet you are posting on other forums about the same thing, different story as in " your 7 month old mastiff and your brother putting a choke chain on it and asking if it makes a dog look aggressive."

ADD: AND on that other site you got what you set out to achieve which is conflict/arguement, you were rude/abusive once the members called you out with all your confusion of if you were male or female and other BS and the question has been locked....

Last edited:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back