The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Do They Make Good Pets

mtotos

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
hi can anybody tell me do italian greyhounds make good pets and get on with greyhounds. i live in west lothian i have three greyhounds two are retired and one is in racing kennels. i am looking for a breeders phone number can anyone help.iwould like a puppy and would they be easy to train. i have seen one and it was very quiet and was a little bit dirty in the owners house! is this normal for the breed! any advice would be great cheers.

IGs can live with any breed within reason but a 60lb Greyhound can do an IG serious damage. Mine have lived with an ex racer and a lurcher but they were both middle aged when the IGs were introduced. I would think very seriously about keeping them with anything bigger than a Whippet.

They can be dirty in the house and that is in the breed and no they are not easy to house train.

They are a very in your face breed which can irritate other dogs. They need exercise more so than a greyhound. They are very agile and very active.

As to getting hold of one you will have to be very lucky and most breeders would refuse you because of the greyhounds I'm afraid.

There are IGs for sale but be careful of health issues such as epilepsy and broken legs as people who have to advertise are not those who are particularily careful about their breeding programmes.

Hope that helps, JAN

mtotos said:
thanks for your help and advice.
mtotos

Why have you posted on another forum that you did not receive any helpful advice on this forum?

You only have to read Jan's posts to see that she is a sensible breeder, and I personally would value her experienced advice.

My greyhounds are 6 and 9 and they charge around the house like bats out of hell sometimes. Do you know how tiny an Italian Grehound is? One would be pulverised in my house.

You have asked on the other site where you can get an Italian greyhound, and I think the answer would be a non-reputable breeder who didn't have concerns about the future welfare of their dogs.

No point asking for advice if you have no intention of listening. Give this forum more than 24 hours and you never know maybe there are people who disagree with Jan, but give them a chance to answer!

Cerito

hi cerito i presume you are meaning my post on hove dogs,let me put the record straight as i do not want to make this personal.

firstly i have two greyhounds who live in a kennel but they get in the house during the day they do not run around my house as they are fully house trained unlike yours it would seem.

you asked if i know how tiny an ig is - yes i have been to many dog shows and i am not new to keeping dogs as i have over 14 years experiance working in both greyhound and boarding kennels .

if we were to buy an ig it would be kept in the house and not in the kennel with my greyhounds and would not be allowed off the lead at the same time as our greyhounds as i am not stupid and i know a fully grown greyhound could cause an ig a bad injury should they collide.

my greyhounds have lived happily with a guinea pig and chipmunks as they have been well trained and lively only when we let them free on a friends gallop.

i was not having a go at jans advice i was simply trying to find out if a whippet would be better suited to us,as we have sought advice from friends who both show and breed dogs and we have recieved both positive and negative advice and we take on board all of the advice given and we will visit breeders of igs and whippets for some more advice before making a decision so please can we not be so personal about people when we know nothing about them.

cheers mtotos :D

"hi does anybody have or know anybody with an italian greyhound.i was on a whippet and italian greyhound website last night and felt they were most unhelpful.one said because i had two retired greyhounds and one racer in kennels i would not be a suitable owner"

My question was with your comment "most unhelpful". I got the opposite impression.

My dogs are house trained, I am sorry that your greyhounds don't appear to play indoors.

Subject closed as requested.

Cerito

perhaps the words used may not have been ideal but i am trying to get the point over that just because we own greyhounds does not mean we should be disqualified from owning a ig when we could give it a fantastic and loving home? and i should have made clear the point that we do not intend to show our chosen pup so if going to the breeders is going to be a closed shop perhaps we should try a ig rescue centre instead,and yes my dogs do have fun in the house but they do not run around like 'bats out of hell' they get to do this outside if you need proof of my dogs happiness feel free to pay us a visit because if and when we get a puppy we would be more than happy for any breeder to view our property and our current dogs condition and happiness i am sure if i got an ig i would not be the only person in the whole of the uk to have one along with a greyhound?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back