The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dodsley the boxer

Alanward87

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
As I'm new I just thought I would post a few of the little addition.

20190422_143602.jpg
20190401_132242.jpg
20190309_135211.jpg

Currently 14 weeks old and 10.5 kg. He is great with the kids and doesn't mind if they want to run and play or cuddle he is just happy to be close to them.

I am probably being hyper-cautious so please disregard this post if I am, but seeing photos of young children with dogs always makes me concerned. Nothing specific raises a red flag in your picture but the web is flooded with them where the people who have posted seem naive to the potential problems. So, at the risk of preaching to the choir, please do make sure you are very clued up on canine body language.

Dogs give a series of signals that they are unhappy, but unfortunately most people don't recognise them because they can be quite subtle. To begin with there is often wide eyes, lip licking and yawning. There is also muscular tension in the body. Then the ones we sometimes do see - growl, snarl, nip then bite. If the early signals are not seen (or, in the dog's view, ignored) he won't bother with them because us stupid humans pay no attention anyway; so he may go straight to the bite. So never ignore the early signals; especially a growl which is an important communication that all is not well. As a friend says, she would rather be told verbally to sod off than be smacked in the face with no apparent warning.

Yes thank you, any advice is always welcomed. Some people see things differently and other presperspectives on any matter is always useful.

The kids are closely monitored and we are keen to ensure dodsley has his own quiet space where the kids are not allowed. I must admit though it's rare that he uses it, normally opting to follow them around or if thay are sat he normally goes to lay on them.

Being the owner of a 7 month old boxer pup all I can do is wish you luck! Not sure your experience of the breed but their energetic and stubborn nature takes quite some work and patience to say the least!

We’ve enlisted a retired police dog trainer to help with our lad Diesel and in his view training a boxer takes on average three times as long as a police GSD!

As evidence of potential bad behaviour behold my wife’s specs.
79FD15DC-5751-4C3D-B884-D6086AE33045.jpeg

Bit my god he’s a handsome guy!

DD
6A6770E7-1C74-412B-A2A7-CEE737DCA3E8.jpeg

I must admit I am a little green when it comes to boxers but have had a 2 collies in the past. Because of that I'm used to dogs with endless energy and intelegence that needs constant stimulation. I learned the hard way by having the carpet ripped off the stairs from the previous pair.

Fortunately we run a family business now so he is always with me and we are able to be out together most of the day. Plenty of exercise and interaction and so far we have had no issues to date. I'm sure he will get more cheeky as time goes on but hopefully the activity and interaction will keep it to a minimum.

They are certainly worth the effort though. At 14 weeks he is my little shadow. So playful and so loving. I'm defiantly glad I went for a boxer.

You right though he is a handsome guy. I'm sure with time you will get through the cheeky phase. Distract and stimulate I always found key with all dog breeds.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back