The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Does grain free food have more sugar?

SuJess2018

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I know in human foods the grain free versions often have more sugar than the regular and (bread for example) I wondered if the same was true with dog foods?

I ask because years ago when I had dogs with my family our dogs were on a cheaper food with cereal but they had beautiful teeth right up to old age.

I was given grain free food when the neighbour brought Jess to me and I've given her the same food since and although she's only middle aged her teeth aren't in as good condition as our past dogs were when they were in their late teens, even though what they were fed would probably be considered an inferior diet now.

so was just wondering?

It shouldn't have but dog food varies in quality and price isn't much of an indicator. Look up the brand you are using here All About Dog Food.co.uk and you can see what is in it.

It sounds like Jess hasn't been with you from the start, If her mother had poor nutrition whilst pregnant or she was not fed correctly as a pup this could be the reason for her dental problems

I am with @Caro Perry on this - it's thought to be a myth that crunching dry biscuit helps dental hygiene much. Genetics and health are more likely causes. I never heard a dentist suggest dry biscuits for human dental care! Do you brush her teeth? I have recently swapped from an enzymatic pet toothpaste to Dentisept which seems very good. Canident is supposed to be great but virtually impossible to get. If you havent done it before, putting a little on a rough weave cloth on your finger is easier to start with than a brush. A raw chicken wing a couple of times a week helps a lot too.

This page on All About Dog Food tells you more about what to look out for in ingredients: Sugars in dog food | All About Dog Food I would guess that the main source of sugars in dog food is the carbs, which in general would be lower in grain-free. But I wouldn't have thought that sugars from carbs would affect teeth (not that I'm an expert).

Breed can make a difference - greyhounds and similar types can have manky teeth, though some argue that this is due to the food they tend to be fed when they're young. Brushing and/or bones can really help!

ok I know it seems they seem to add extra sugar in gluten free human foods probably so it tastes better so wondered if the same was done with dog's food. I'll look at those links thanks and see if we can find her a better food. I haven't brushed her teeth as she was very nervous when she came and hasn't been with me long, she also has sight issues so doesn't like people grabbing/touch her when she doesn't understand what they're trying to do. I doubt I'd get a toothbrush or a cloth in her mouth!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back