The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dog breed advice please

Singinghound

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Good morning,
I’m looking for some advice regarding dog breeds. We are looking for our next dog, and want a breed that’s best suited for us (whether rescue or purchased).
We have an active lifestyle as a family, and I train regularly in the North Yorkshire moors covering a fair few miles at pace, so our dog would need to be happy in cold wet environments (but also during the Summer).
However, we also work from home, and although the dog would get good excercise once a day, it would also be happy hanging around the house (though mostly with human company, or that of an older dog.)
Size: medium to large but I’d rather have a compact dog than a huge one, though!
As if that weren’t enough, we’d like a dog that’s not aggressive, but who lets us know when people come onto our property, especially when one of us is on our own.
There are plenty of dogs we’d *like* but I’d rather have some expert opinion! Thanks for reading, and your thoughts.

Hi , a medium dog that likes to run and is happy to lounge, not aggressive but will really let you know if anyone comes in.... A beagle. I know not most peoples first thought but bear in mind these dogs are built to run and run. ( if you let them off lead you might do a few more miles than intended) However once home and warm they are the perfect couch potato. They are lovely friendly dogs but that multi tone bark will see off any unwanted guests.. Advantage; there are loads in rescue and they are not awfully unhealthy if kept trim.

Lots of people might suggest a BC but they will need more mental stimulation than just a good run.

Lots of people might suggest a BC but they will need more mental stimulation than just a good run.[/QUOTE said:
Yes, we thought not a BC for that reason too. A beagle is a great idea, we hadn’t thought of that!

Bear in mind that you can't always have everything. A dog who is happy in cold wet weather (a deerhound springs to mind) is unlikely to tolerate summer heat. In fact a lot of dogs overheat very easily in warm weather - mine tends to pant and look for puddles to lie in on the first warmish day in May... Similarly, a dog who barks when people who come on to the property but isn't aggressive - it can be a bit of a balancing act as chances are if they bark, there's a level of anxiety there.

Border terriers can run for miles,they were breed to run with the hunt. Belive me,they have the stamina to keep going. They are as sharp as a razor and confident dogs who will let you know when something is about. As a general rule they are very good with people,but other stuff like rabbits and rats are fair game to them. I've found all the borders terriers I've had have been very good to a a train to a high standard. They have a very good health record,they got the breeding right all them years ago so the KC and show breeders haven't messed about with them breeding wise. All the ones I've had have lived happily with other dogs (mainly lurchers) and been happy dogs. I'm 53 now and I've had Border Terriers since I was 8 years old,so they can't be that bad....or can theyo_O

Dalmatians are lovely dogs ...will run for miles ...originally bred to be carriage dogs ...laid back at home

I don’t usually recommend Rhodesian Ridgebacks, simply because they are so dear to me that I think it takes special humans to train them the right way, very sensitive and stubborn, and thinking... it takes a lot of patience and sense of humor to live with one without getting frustrated.
But that aside, the rest seems to fit, large but not huge, athletic outside, great running partners, love their sofas and couches and armchairs inside, will certainly alert about strangers, and if need be - the sight of an alert Ridgeback is probably enough to keep unwelcome guests out.
So, perhaps I would suggest investing a little bit of time in further exploring the breed....

Have you considered a first cross? We know some wonderful sprollies (BC x Springer) that seem to be all that you list as requirements. We also had a wonderful Lab x whippet who lived to be 17 and was pretty good (so long as you weren't a cat or a hare). BUT there's no guarantee. We've had a working spaniel that would never have worked a day in his life and known a GSD that was petrified of sheep...go figure.

I think that it's human nature to bound by our own experiences, whether they're good or bad.... My own good ones (in dog ownership terms) have involved spaniel crosses with several friends having had pure breeds. All have proven extremely energetic, especially when young, and happiest when wet or muddy. They're also very 'biddable' and sociable, the latter important to consider in the light of you being around them most of the time. Whilst they're very aware of what's going on around them and will let you know when they think that you need to be given a heads-up as regards anyone/anything occuring, they're more likely to lick intruders to death than attack them. You could go smaller with a Cocker, next size up would be a Welsh, and then an English, or -as merlina mentioned - a suitable cross.

Have got to say I love the Ridgebacks, my old boss at the kennels I worked had 3, they all loved to run, loved to curl up on the sofa and I never once had any worries about their guarding instinct! When you are on your own and fairly isolated it's kinda nice to trust your dogs! But I also have to agree with Merlina, you can get a certain breed for their 'known' traits and then be surprised...

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back