The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dog Breeding Advice

kojak

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
hello dont know if this is the correct section but here it goes, my mate had his whippet mated on thursday and saturday 10th and 12th day as advised by his vet, so everything seemed to be fine until, tonite when his next door neighbours collie got into his yard and although the whippet was out in the yard less than 5mins he thinks the 2 dogs tied ,he came out shouting and the 2 broke free and the collie then was trying to remount the whippet again straight away so do you reckon he didnt do the biz, if so what are the chances of the whippet throwing pups to the collie as i said she was mated twice by a whippet,

thanks

she can through whippet and collie pups if shes mated both dont know what to advice. but i would recon she problemy did mate the collie aswell

She could quite easily throw pups to both the collie and the whippet !!

If she has pups,,get a DNA teat on them all,,,mum,,whippet dad and collie dad. That way you know who is dad to who.

his best bet would be to have the bitch jabbed to get rid of the pups and mate her again on her next season. that way he can be sure of what the pups will be.

As I recently had a litter I would say she would be pregnant by the Whippet even if the Collie did get her. I have read up on it and they can't have litter by 2 different dogs so if she was mated at the correct time the litter will be the Whippets.I could be wrong but I did read it!

As I recently had a litter I would say she would be pregnant by the Whippet even if the Collie did get her. I have read up on it and they can't have litter by 2 different dogs so if she was mated at the correct time the litter will be the Whippets.I could be wrong but I did read it!
bitch's can and dn produce split litters but when your talking about pedigree breeds chances mustnt be taken. as he cannot gaurentee their parentage.

One of my dogs, a blue and white, was mated to a pale fawn bitch. She subsequently gave birth to two brindle whippets, and four black and white lurchers. Her owner assured me the farm collie was so old and stiff, ha ha, he was no threat.

I had told her to keep the bitch in, but was ignored.

So, you can get a mixed litter.

What amazed me was the two whippets were registered and sold with papers. They were most certainly whippets. The black and whites went as lurchers.

That was a long time ago.

Personally I would not get the bitch jabbed, it can really upset their system, and I know of one bitch that is now sterile from having the jab, she had already had a litter of 3. Had the jab, was mated on her next proper season, and the next etc. No Puppies.

If she has pups,,get a DNA teat on them all,,,mum,,whippet dad and collie dad. That way you know who is dad to who.
Sounds like the the Jeremy Kyle show there! :b

Iv seen a 3 dog split litter never mined 2 so its very very likly she will have a mixed litter if it were me I agree with mark get her jabed and get the fencing higher before you try again. and as for mating well my bitch was mated on day 18 and 19 and had 5 pups if i bitch is standin an allowing a dog to line her shes can conceve at that time

You are VERY wrong kirs, dont know what u read--but there can be pups in a litter from 2 different breeds of sires, youl know if some pups chase rabbit and the rest round up sheep, my advice aswel is get the jag and remate next break.!

not all bitches need mating on day 10/12, this very much depends on the bitch, some are ready for mating then but others can be as late as 18 days!!!

You are VERY wrong kirs, dont know what u read--but there can be pups in a litter from 2 different breeds of sires, youl know if some pups chase rabbit and the rest round up sheep, my advice aswel is get the jag and remate next break.!
Sorry, yes I am. Don't know where I read it but have since found out I was wrong!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back