The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dog breeding/pregnancy.

skynez

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I, im a first time breeder and I have a question I hope someone can help me with.

my dog was mated and tied on the 21st oct then the 25th oct. Then 2 weeks later she allowed the dog to mount her again and then on the 16th nov she allowed him to again and again they tied, this was 5 and a half weeks after her season began. My vet says to count from the last daythey tied, but the last couple of weeks her teets are protruding more, shes showing signs of thickening body wise around near her ribs, and for the last week shes been off her food. She also now has a clear discharge. Im thinking shes arpund 3 to 4 weeks pregnant, but if my vet is right she will only be just over aweek if she caught, so when do I count from.

Also asked my vet when I can get a blood test done to confirm pregnancy and she said to not waste my money, and thst if she tied then shes more than likely pregnant.

any advise appreciated.

She could be pregnant by all the matings and you could end up with all different age puppies when she produses them, so you could end up with premature puppies or with puppies that die in the womb as they have gone over their time

This is why breeders do two matings about 3 days apart

Shame you didn't do your homework before you let her get with a dog

Why did you want to breed? there are dogs being killed every day in rescues and pounds because there are so many puppies churned out

I didnt know she could stay in season for 6 weeks. Even surprised my vet but apparently though rare it can happen. Its to add to the breedof wolf dogs, given a mix of two very good bred dogs with excellent hip knee and eye scores,, to help improve the breed of alaskan wolfdogs. I did my research some things are hard to find out about.

It doesnt matter now anyway as shes miscarried. If I do decide to mate her again next year I will be making sure she only gets bred the twice during her fertile stage and then keeping her away from male dogs until after the pregnancy.

She probably was not in heat the second mating 5 weeks after the first. I have had dogs mate out of season with the male knoting. Rare but it does happen. I am not a vet, but the out of season breeding could be the cause of the miscarriage.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back