The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dog hardly drinks water

hannahmonk

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all,

Not sure whether its something to be concerned about or not but our dog hardly drinks any water,to be honest we have changed him from dry to wet food which seems to be doing him the power of good,his coat and his appetite but now he hardly drinks?I appreciate there is more moisture in wet food but surely he should also be having a drink?maybe im being paranoid as he seems ok in himself....

He may be drinking when you're not seeing. Is he the only dog in the house? If you want a good idea of how much he's drinking, measure the amount of water you put in the bowl in the morning, then measure what's left before refilling again the next day (evening whatever) for a few days. Also keep in mind they do tend to drink less in the winter, and as you say if he's on a wet based diet he will drink much less than on a dry food. I'm sure you should be able to google something like healthy average water for dog to drink (or you vet should be able to tell you what is average for a dog his size), and if his drinking is around that average there's nothing to be concerned about. If it should be more there's things you can do, and might also be worth a vet visit for a blood workup.

If you want him to drink more for your own peace of mind, you can always add a bit of chicken broth to the water to encourage him. But I'd try and get an accurate measurement first.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back