The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dog insurance

Justikas

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello, i am new here. And i am not sure if I'm writing in right place but correct me if I'm wrong.
So i am getting a puppy this week. He will be 10weeks.
So of course i am thinking about insuring him. Now i never had dog i know nothing how insurance work.
Which one are you using? How do they work?
Because i saw one that you have to pay £50 a month and if something happens to request that money you have to pay fee of minimum £70. So i don't understand that. If someone could recomend something not so expensive but still good and explain how to go about it i would really appreciate.

Check out your house insurance. It may well include cover for public liability, which is essential. Membership of Dogs Trust also offers public liability cover, and is a really good deal.

Cheap does not equal good. It's better to go with a reputable company. What else do you want insurance for? Sometimes cover for vet bills is not great value. Some companies raise the premium after every claim, or only pay out so much total per condition. Is yours a healthy breed? Some cost a lot more to keep healthy than others. Ask the breeder what they recommend.

If yours is a relatively healthy breed, it may be better value to open a separate savings account for the dog expenses.

Check out your house insurance. It may well include cover for public liability, which is essential. Membership of Dogs Trust also offers public liability cover, and is a really good deal.

Cheap does not equal good. It's better to go with a reputable company. What else do you want insurance for? Sometimes cover for vet bills is not great value. Some companies raise the premium after every claim, or only pay out so much total per condition. Is yours a healthy breed? Some cost a lot more to keep healthy than others. Ask the breeder what they recommend.

If yours is a relatively healthy breed, it may be better value to open a separate savings account for the dog expenses.
Basically i was thinking to get insurance to cover vet bills. Dog that we are getting is cavalier king charles spaniel.

There is the potential for a lot of vet bills, then. Take your time researching what each insurance company offers, remembering that they exist to make a profit rather than to help us out. I strongly recommend you check out some CKCS breed clubs and ask which companies they use. Good luck - cavvies are lovely dogs.

There is the potential for a lot of vet bills, then. Take your time researching what each insurance company offers, remembering that they exist to make a profit rather than to help us out. I strongly recommend you check out some CKCS breed clubs and ask which companies they use. Good luck - cavvies are lovely dogs.
Thank you!

I was going to recommend petplan ;)

Look for a policy that has lifetime cover - that means if your dog develops a problem, it won't be excluded in the following year.

Cavs are lovely dogs but riddled with health problems so go for the highest level of cover you can afford.

Check out and compare with Agria. They don't put it up if you need to claim and you get £50 voucher every year which you can use for vaccinations etc

We use purely pets. Freddie has £10k lifetime cover. First years premiums were £20.95 per month. We have claimed twice in the first year and maxed out the £10k - was dreading getting the renewal documents but received today and the monthly payments have gone up to £26 per month - I will take that! Not the quickest to pay out claims but even my vets said it was good cover.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back