The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dog Jog

Teddy560

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I'm starting running again but obviously Teddy is too young to join me at the moment. There is a jogging event coming up at the end of July (Dog Jog) when Teddy will have turned 7 months. It is 5k and a very relaxed/low pace event do you think it would be too much for him? I don't want to do any damage to his joints. He has so much energy and runs the whole time on his walks. Research online is showing very varied results. Some suggest that pups can start jogging at 6 months, some 8 and some 12 months? Any insight would be great and very much appreciated.

Personally, I think it could be too much for him. The rule of thumb is 5 minutes walking per month of age (so 35 minutes for his age) and I'm guessing you'll take up to an hour?

The rule does have to be taken with a fairly large pinch of salt given that dogs are likely to be active for longer than this at one go anyway, but the difference with a jog is that you/he won't be able to take time out to stop and sniff, but he'll have to be moving the whole time. Possibly I'm being overcautious, but it's better than not being cautious enough!

You could take him, but pick him up after half an hour ect.

more concerning to me than a possible risk to his joints, what's the temp & humidity likely to be, in July?

Here it can be 85' F & 80% or higher humidity - very hard indeed, on a dog, even just walking, or a short sprint.

If it were me & my dog, i'd go if the temps were reasonable, & i'd let my dog tell me if they were in any distress - plus as much as possible, i'd keep to shade for both of us, & keep the dog off the paving on natural substrates.
If it was too hot & sticky, i'd skip it; if it's ALL paved, i'd skip it.

For now, i'd work on getting him into condition slowly, hoping to get there. :) // Also FWIW, i'd never heard of the '5 minute rule" B4 joining a UK forum, & none of my dogs ever developed joint issues despite ignoring this [not known here] rule.

- terry

Thanks for all of your replies. I've read that we can walk it if we want... so will see how we are getting along closer to the day. Maybe we could use it as training. Walk a bit/ run a bit etc.

Terry we're in Scotland. It rarely gets above maybe 18c in July. At the minute we are averaging around 13-18c. It is on grass I think. Obviously it still needs to not be too hot and shaded etc. I will look into it for more information. :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back