The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

dog-meat in S. Korea is becoming a generational battle: elders eat it, youth protest it

leashedForLife

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register

the total number of dog-meat restaurants in Seoul, S Korea, fell from 30K to 7K, & dog-farms raising dogs for consumption were similarly decimated. // Traditionally, dog-meat is eaten mostly in summer, but sick ppl ate it as "medicine" year-round. It is supposed to help U to heal, so post-surgery patients would eat it, & it's also believed to build endurance.
Nowadays, many dog-farms for mass breeding are going out of business, & the biggest live-animal market in Seoul, once on the very edge of town, is today along a main drag, beside a school route. After many complaints by passersby & local residents, they got rid of all the live meat-animals: the goats, chickens, ducks, dogs, everything, & the slaughtering facilities, too; now, they sell only pre-cut, packaged meat, & a tenth of what they sold, before.

Hygiene standards have been raised on many of the few remaining dog-farms, but they still feed the dogs a sloppy-looking brownish sludge of cooked leftovers, which the dogs must lap up; it prevents fights by forcing the dogs to "drink" their meals, they cannot take a hunk out & retire with it, to gnaw elsewhere.
The 1988 Olympics brought a lot of embarrassing foreign attn to dog-meat, & the fast-growing popularity of dogs as indoor pets in cities is fulminating rapid change in the image of dogs in the public eye.
Once seen as dirty strays in cities & disease-carriers who menaced livestock in rural areas, they're now groomed fussily & wear clothes that resemble toddlers' outfits.
They're fed from the family's plates at the table, & spoiled outrageously. Dog-yoga & dog massage are drawing young professionals in, with their pampered pets in tow.
It's a new world.

- terry

I never understood the desire to eat dog meat.

I can't fathom it, either, ARH - nor the desire to eat horsemeat, even simply per food safety, as horses are given drugs that are dangerous to humans, which are never given to cattle, poultry, etc. o_O
I can't see either dogs or horses as 'food' - any more than i'd see a Betta splendens as food, but a trout could be, so i guess i'm just as hypocritical & confusing as all other humans. :p

I can eat sardines, but wouldn't want to eat a goldfish - even tho it's just a different-colored or oddly-shaped carp.
Folk are queer, & i'm folk. :D

- terry

For me,I find it hard to see sheep in the field with their offspring skipping about knowing their fate, in some countries all animals are seen as a food source, maybe here in the west we just find it harder to think of dogs as food because of our relationship with them, but to me is a cow or lamb or pig any easier to farm and eat?? And I'm not by any means saying eating dogs is right either btw, but that I struggle with the thought of eating any animal! ( which is why I don't;))

I grew-up on a family farm, & we had sheep [I was the shepherd, midwife, farmhand, etc], calves raised for meat, hens that laid our eggs, ponies & horses, geese & ducks, dogs, barn-cats & indoor Siamese, & my younger sis raised meat-rabbits.
I also had a plethora of short-term visitors, wildlings who were ill, injured, or orphaned, most of whom survived to be released, & every summer i caught snakes that i kept until autumn, when i put them back where i'd got them.

So i grew-up eating meat, & both hunted & fished, & slaughtered some animals for eating; however, after a car-accident in 1984, my intestines were damaged by antibiotics given in quick succession, & i can no longer eat meat-fats. I must also limit how much veg-oil or dairy fats i eat; overconsumption causes the trots, for several days. :(

I haven't eaten meat [other than fish, & that's not often] in a long time - i thought i'd miss it, but i've never yearned for it, which is just as well, LOL - i've gained wt with age, but very slowly, thank heaven, & i think my mostly-meatless diet has helped.

I also found out, in my college animal-science courses, how very different the process of breeding, rearing, finish, & slaughter is, under commercial-Ag rather than family-farm meat production. I urge everyone who eats meat to find pasture-raised, small-farm sources for their meat, & sustainable fisheries to provide their fish. :) High-input CAFOs are both unethical & unsustainable, & nonhumans need space, clean food, clean environs, & housing that allows for normal behaviors.
Crowding, de-beaking, crate-raised veal calves, battery egg-production, hock-deep muck in open-air pens... these are not only inhumane, but unhealthy - for us as consumers, for the poor beasts, & for our planet.

- terry

I don't know what pets might be more-popular in S Korea; dogs are owned by 24% of S Korean households, & they gained 8% in a single year, which is a huge growth-rate.
Maybe fish, cats, crickets, or other pets are even-more popular than dogs - i don't know. Perhaps aquaria or reptiles or frogs are popular choices - or cage-birds, such as finches & canaries?

In the USA, pet-ownership is at an all-time high, with over 65% of households owning at least one pet, & 1 in 3 of those homes has multiple pets. One-third of all U-S dog-owners has 2 or more dogs, not one. Among cat-owners, multiple cats are even more common; nearly half of all cat-owners have multiple kitties.

I can't fathom it, either, ARH - nor the desire to eat horsemeat, even simply per food safety, as horses are given drugs that are dangerous to humans, which are never given to cattle, poultry, etc. o_O
I can't see either dogs or horses as 'food' - any more than i'd see a Betta splendens as food, but a trout could be, so i guess i'm just as hypocritical & confusing as all other humans. :p

I can eat sardines, but wouldn't want to eat a goldfish - even tho it's just a different-colored or oddly-shaped carp.
Folk are queer, & i'm folk. :D

- terry
I agree with you about dogs and horses. My husband won't eat his own chickens although he does eat their eggs.
I grew up eating home reared chickens and pigs. Just postwar it was the only way to afford meat at all.
My grandad also shot rabbits and pigeons for the pot.

My workplace is very diverse and a lot of my colleagues have eaten dog meat. I'd personally be too scared to try it, what if I liked it and got a craving for some deep fried Kay one day? :D

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back