The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dog mum to be 🥰

seeshell

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi everyone
In 4 weeks time I’m going to be bringing home this little sweetheart. She’s a Docker and I’m so excited to bring her home.
I’m looking for any advice that anyone has about the breed and about bringing home a puppy.
Thank you to anyone who takes the time to reply

Attachments

• IMG_9975.jpeg
    IMG_9975.jpeg
    663.1 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_9974.jpeg
    IMG_9974.jpeg
    855 KB · Views: 379
You will probably find the links here helpful but of course do ask if you find anything isn't clear, or need to know more.

advice that anyone has about the breed
I'm not sure what a docker is - cocker spaniel crossed with something? The thing I'd suggest is to remember we have selectively bred dogs for thousands of years to do particular jobs (pulling, fetching, driving, guarding, hunting and killing), so it's good to keep that in mind when you are training. There's a reason we don't use terriers to herd sheep - no doubt it could be trained but it's going to be a lot harder than using a herding breed. So, depending on what's in your pup, you may need to set your expectations accordingly.

She’s a wire haired dachshund cross cocker spaniel x

A docker is not a breed it's a designer crossbreed ...my friend has wired haired daschund or teckles....I wouldnt say this cross is for the faint hearted ..both breeds are wired to search and hunt ....lots of hardwork but I should imagine fun ...
Start doing your research now for both breeds of dog so you know what to expect of yourself in training your new pup .. congratulations it will be interesting to see what she looks like in a few months ;)

I confess I thought Docker was a typo at first! She looks lovely :)

She does look very cute!:) An interesting mix for sure, I just had a quick google and the adults seem to really vary in looks. But yes another vote for you doing lots of research into both breed types in the next 4 weeks, if you can start with a good foundation of breed info, it will absolutely help in understanding your little one and her needs.
Have you thought of any names yet?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back