The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dog not eating at times

fizle

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
[SIZE=16pt]We have a Lab collie cross (1/4 collie) who is acting odd, despite[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt] having had our own dogs for over 25 years we have not had one [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]that behaves like this[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]At times he will eat normally say for 7 days at a stretch, and then [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]he will stop eating for a few days[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]He looks and acts healthy e.g. glossy coat, runs for his ball and is[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt] generally cheeky and bouncy. He can be a scavenger, when out [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]and about given any opportunity he will eat absolutely anything. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]He has been recently wormed with panacur worming granules. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]There is no blood in his stool, and when he occasionally vomits,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt] it looks perfectly normal. Then out of the blue without any [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]treatment he starts eating again. There is no pattern to this[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt] behavior nor does it always happen when he has scavenged.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Thanks for any ideas[/SIZE]

Do you put food down for your dog to "graze" all day of do you have actual feeding times ?

Maybe your chap is just not hungry if you are offering too much food he just regulates himself this way.

Our border collie that we had many years ago never had a huge appetite and was always a skinny type of dog. We discovered that she loved whole wild caught rabbits, we caught as many as we could and then got her onto a raw diet. Thereafter she always ate well.

You obviously have a happy and well dog. If he was a wild dog/wolf he would not eat every day! There are some people who only feed 6 days a week so as to give 1 day of starvation. (a perfectly natural process).

If he is well in himself I would not be worried.

I agree with the above.

Do try to relax around feeding times. Dogs pick up on our emotions very quickly. If we are worried about something then it can affect them. My husband managed to train my old dog not to eat when I went away on a course. I returned to find her very anxious around feeding time. He told me that she had missed me and wouldn't eat. When I questioned him he told me he had been trying to tempt her. I asked him to show me and I watched him try to encourage her to eat and then to tell her "good girl" when she refused!

It took me a couple of days of putting her food down, without making eye contact with her, and busying myself around the kitchen for ten minutes, before removing the food until the next meal time, before she started eating again.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back