The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dog nutritionist

Elmo's Kitchen

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello,

My name is Kristina and I am new to this forum. I am certified in advanced canine nutrition. I do not promote a certain method of feeding. Dogs are different and what works for my dog might make your dog terrible ill. My recommendations are made on an individual basis. What makes the dog happy makes me happy. I'm gonna try and answer as many questions about nutrition on this site as I can. If i miss your question please feel free to email me but also please do have a look around my website and read my credentials etc. I hope I can be to help for some.

Best wishes

Kristina

Kristina Johansen - Cert. ACN

+44 (0)20 7118 3566
www.elmoskitchen.com | Facebook | Twitter | Huffington Post

www.elmoskitchen.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Kristina, got a question to test you with if you would be so kind, regarding glucosamine and chondroitin.

I currently feed orijen to my 2 dogs which I think is great (apart from the cost) and they do well on it but I would like to use cheaper but similar food. Orijen does not add glucosamine or chondroitin to the food but lists high doses of them in the typical analysis, they say on their website that due to the inclusion of whole prey meats which obviously include bones and cartilage they have no need to add any in the ingredients.

I have been looking at some other 80/20 formulas that are cheaper but have noticed they all add glucosamine and chondroitin, this is listed in ingredients (instead of typical analysis) and at much smaller doses. Does this mean they are adding them because they do not include bone and cartilage in their ingredients or are they actually adding them on top of what is already naturally occuring.

Hope this makes sense, I have emailed 2 of the companies but am yet to receive an answer.

Hello,

Only the manufacture can tell you what's naturally occuring, whats added and where it is sourced. A good manufacture however should have this info readily available.

Glucosamine is usually derived from the shells of shellfish, chondroitin is usually sourced from poultry cartilage. The key info is for you to know if the food supply your dog w/ a sufficient amount of glucosamine and chondroitin. The typical recommended therapeutic dose is 20mg glucosamine per pound of bodyweight per day and 16mg chondroitin per pound of bodyweight per day.

Let's do some math.

Orijen contains 1400mg/kg glucosamine and 1200mg/kg chondroitin. A 50 pound dog needs 1000mg glucosamine and 800mg chondroitin per day. So a 50 pound dog would need 714g of Orijen per day to cover his or her glucosamine/chondroitin needs. This amount would make the dog overweight.

Unfortunately commercial diets in general rarely meet recommended therapeutic doses.

I hope this make sense and that I passed the 'test' :- )

Kristina

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back