The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dog on dog agression

StevieR

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Advice please! Our 20-month male and entire border collie is increasingly becoming the subject of 100% unprovoked aggression from other dogs. The size of the other dog does not seem to matter.
We have chosen not to have our dog castrated because, whilst friendly with other dogs, he has always been excessively submissive to them (as a pup he would roll onto his back and pee when approached by more than one dog).
He was injured 10 days ago by a dog, and in the past 24 hours he has suffered 4 independent 'episodes' from other dogs whilst he has been on the leash.
Our worries are injuries but also he is developing a fear of other dogs.
He is a great little guy and it is upsetting to see this happen.
TIA.

How awful - it's tough when he isn't doing anything to instigate it.

I'd suggest a vet check in case the other dogs are scenting an illness that hasn't shown symptoms yet.

It's a very difficult situation, because (a) you can't control other dogs and their owners, and (b) not many dogs are adult entire males, so the owners won't be expecting their normally friendly dog to attack. I say this as someone whose dog used to hate young unneutered males and it wasn't easy finding a balance between avoiding every encounter with any other dog and letting him have offlead time - I had to walk him places where I could see a long way off, put him on lead when coming up to corners, etc. (He's 10 now, so he's mellowed.) A lot of owners don't even know why their friendly, sociable dog occasionally goes for other dogs.

Possible solutions, though none is perfect:

1) Walk him at times and in places where you won't see many other dogs.
2) Get in between him and any approaching dog, pointing in the other direction and shouting 'GIT!' or 'Wait!' at the incoming dog ('Wait' worked well for me on one occasion.) Or throw a handful of treats at them, while turning tail and walking smartly in the other direction.
3) Calling 'Please put your dog on lead' to the other owner the moment the other dog shows an interest in yours.
4) Get him a yellow 'Dog in need of space' vest, which might deter some people from letting their dog approach.
5) Castrating him, on the basis that being attacked is worse for his mental (and possibly physical) health than being castrated. I know, you shouldn't have to, but it might be the most effective solution. Bear in mind though, that some dogs, once they've decided they don't like another dog, will bear a grudge for life. There's a couple of dogs that mine knew, and took a dislike to, when they were young, bouncy and entire, which he still doesn't like at all, now they're neutered. Though he does at least just grump at them if they get too close now.

At 20 months, he is still in adolescence, and I agree with your stance on keeping him entire. I also agree with a full vet check just in case other dogs are picking up on physical illness.

I have a sensitive dog (female) who frequently has other dogs approach her in an antagonistic way because they pick up on the shyness and, like playground bullies, think they can get a morale boost out of attacking her. It's my job to stop this happening, to be pro-active instead of re-active, and I am not slow to tell other people to keep their dog/s away. However, because anyone who lets offlead dogs charge at an onlead dog, as is happening to you (my dog is offlead) is an idiot, I would recommend you are a bit more ahead of the game than you are now. You are taller and can see further. Get between your dog and the other long before there is interaction, and move off to the side or onto a different path. Once you are at a distance your dog (not you) feels safe, stand in front of your dog to block access until the other dogs have passed by. Once the other dogs are safely away, reward your dog so that you create an association with other dogs = a Good Thing Happens. This calms your dog and so makes further interaction positive. Do NOT do a Sit or a 'watch me' because the last thing you need is for your dog to be attacked while he is being obedient.

It's annoying to have to deal with this, but sadly there is a world full of stupid ignorant entitled people who think they should let their dogs get at yours, and I'm into damage limitation.

Lastly - is your dog giving other dogs the Collie Eye? If he is staring at them as they approach, this can easily provoke conflict, much as you wouldn't be too cool about a human approaching you with a hard stare.

Thanks everyone. Some really useful info. Hope we get past it. He's a lovely dog and it is upsetting for all.

Like Hemlock, I also think that him being shy and timid can be the trigger.
Being on leash in the area where dogs usually run free can be a trigger as well.
"Unprovoked" is human perception, which may or may not be accurate.
If an approaching dog scares him, and being on leash restricts his ability to move away - he may well go into defensive mode which may come across as aggression, other dogs pick up on this, and it goes downhill from there.

In practical terms - I would try to do as much off leash interactions as possible - in a secure area, and with known dogs, with whom he gets along. This may build up confidence.
At the same time - avoid places where there are off-leash strange dogs if possible. I do not support at all confronting other dogs or their owners, this will only raise tension and have negative impact on your boy. Avoiding if you can is a much better strategy than damage control, especially when a row between owners is involved.

Last edited:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back