The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dog Ownership Advice Needed - Will it work?

Zoe Thompson

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I need some honest advice about whether my bf and I are realistically able to own a dog at this point in our lives.
Firstly we are both very outdoorsy / active people and I have already have extensive experiences with both dogs and horses growing up - so I am no stranger to the realities of pet ownership! So in many ways we would make ideal owners but there are a couple things that are leaving me unsure as to what is possible.

I am currently finishing my full-time undergrad degree with 2 years remaining whereas he is in the RAF. My logic follows that it is most sensible for us to get a puppy whilst I am still at university. This way I can take advantage of the long summer holidays in order to give said puppy unlimited amounts of attention needed in the early stages. My course has a very low number of contacts hours (less than 8 per week) so I would be able to devote a large amount of time during the term as well.

On finishing my degree I will be hoping to work full-time. I will be looking at a commute of at least 45 minutes and so I would be unable to come back to the house during my lunch break. My bf rotates day and night shifts weekly so he would be around during the day every other week and we agreed we get a walker for the other weeks. My issue is that roughly once every year my bf is out on deployment for 2-3 months. During this period it is likely would need to rely on a dog walker everyday during the week whilst I am at work. This would be expensive at around £50 a week (£600 for 3 months!) and whilst we would not begrudge spending the money if needed, I am unsure as to whether this is fair on the dog.

In summary, what are people's opinions on relying on a dog walker for extended periods of time? If I am out of the house for 9-10 hours a day is it unlikely I can care for the dog whilst he is away? Is it sensible to get one whilst I have the time before I work full or wait until our circumstances change in the future?

I appreciate I may be being overly cautious but I want to make the right decision.

Any advice is appreciated!

All I can say is I just wish everybody else was like you in being honest, with what you’ve said you will need a good support team around you, so from me best of luck and it’s great your thinking about the dog first.

I agree. It can be done BUT you need a reliable backup team plus emergency backup for if someone is ill or away.

Having worked shifts for many years myself, do remember your partner needs to sleep during the day and thus can't give attention to the dog. Also consider how a dog-walker coming to the house would affect his sleep. It might be better to find a daytime dogsitter, and this would involve a lot of research because the wrong person could cause problems without meaning to, especially if they have other dogs and your pup gets bullied or is allowed to bully. Doggy daycare can be very variable also. You could arrange with a boarding kennels to have your dog there during the day.

But is this how you want your dog to live? Or yourselves? It would mean no social life, as outside work and sleep hours, there isn't that much time for any dog.

It's great that you are giving so much thought to the arrangement, and I hope you find a workable solution.

It wuld also depend so much on the individual dog. Some are very accepting of whatever life throws at them, are gregarious enough that they don't really mind who walks them, and are easygoing about when their walks happen. Others won't be able to cope. So you'd need to choose your dog/breed/breeder carefully!

Very tricky to plan that far ahead.

What if you get a different job than you’re expecting in 2 years? What if you and your bf split? What happens if he is posted abroad for longer and you go with him? etc etc.

I think with a dog it’s better to wait until you are relatively settled (and even then life is never set in stone). We waited until late 30’s and had bought an apartment, so have a little stability. Totally boring I know when you really want a dog.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back