The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dog sitting expectations

hollysh

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
How long do you think is a reasonable time to leave a dog on its own when your dog sitting? I know you have a certain routine when its your own but as a dog sitter i feel extremely guilty if i even have to leave for an hour or 2. This is mainly because i also do dogwalking and sometimes its just not practical to take them all out together.

Also do you think its reasonable to go out for a few hours when they are sleeping in the evening? 

Just wondered what your thoughts were on this. 

Do you have a contract that both parties sign to be clear about expectations?

If I needed to leave my dog with a sitter, I would expect to pay an hourly rate and if I was being charged for say, 8 hours I would expect the dog to be with the sitter for 8 hours. But if I was going on holiday and the dog was to be kept by a sitter for 2 weeks I would accept they had to do other things in that period. I would then look for a 'not alone for more than 2 hours at a time' clause or similar.

No i dont have that written in the contract. Maybe that is a question i should ask. 

I read in some guidelines that its 4 hours for adult dogs and no more than 2 hours for puppies. 

Last edited by a moderator:
That might be an acceptable time for some dogs to be left by their owner but to be frank I would be unhappy if I were paying for a service that wasn't being provided  :(

From a purely welfare point of view most rescues specify dogs should not be left, on a regular basis, for more than four hours.

As long as my dog had been exercised and fed then I would not be unhappy with him/her being left for up to four hours. I am talking about the dog I have now, though, who is a very independent character. I might not be so happy if it was a dog of a different age/with a different character.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back