The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dog smells.

Mad Murphy

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Untitled collage.jpg
collage M&G.jpg
What does your dog smell like?

Max our Bouvier xSt Bernard smelt like a wookie with a bad hair day or a mouldy door mat. Even after we bathed him him still smelled.
Benny our Beagle smelled like an old sock slightly sweaty and warm.
With Remy we always said 'you can take Remy out of the wild but you cant take the wild out of Remy' he always smelled a bit 'gamey'.
Oscar our BC was like milk and cookies.

Murphy is another milk and cookies dog like babies Farleys rusks warm sweet cosy smell.
Then when I was cuddeling George the other evening I suddenly realised he smells of fresh hot butter popcorn...

Do your dogs have a particular smell all their own?

Jasper has a lovely clean biscuity smell most of the time. In hot weather, though, his rear end smells distinctively cheesy, even after a good soak in a pond :confused: The vet didn't think it could be his anal glands as they usually smell fishy, but tried to check them just in case.... then quickly decided they didn't need checking after all :D

I can't describe his scent but when T and I did scentwork classes, at one class we were given a piece of microfibre cloth and asked to give our dogs a rub with it daily and keep it in a sealed poly bag. The next week we were asked to try to identify our own dog's scent in a 'blind' test by picking out our own cloth. And yes, I found him!

Love all these distinctive smells you guys notice on your dogs.
Roxy smells like.....dog. haha!
Although around her muzzle she somehow still has a hint of that puppy smell which I love :D is that even possible? She's 8!
That's so cool @JoanneF!!

Oh my gosh @excuseme, me too!
I don't have horses but if we're out on a walk and we pass a field with horses I go to the gate and hope they come close so I can smell them.. :rolleyes::oops:

Edie smells of sea water as we visit the coast frequently. But Oh said her breath smelt of fish:eek:

I love the smell of horses and ponies, not washed ones, just a natural unwashed smell.
I could bury my face into their coats and inhale for hours:rolleyes:

I haven't rode for years but when my daughter had her first lesson a few months ago, I walked on the yard and was like, ahhhh! Nostalgic, comforting smell of horses.

Ted smells like warm laundry. Not of washing powder or anything just like warm cotton sheets. My sister in laws bulldog stinks. All the time. She can just be bathed and she still stinks. No gland problems or anything.

My sister in laws bulldog stinks. All the time. She can just be bathed and she still stinks. No gland problems or anything.

My son bought home an english bulldog she got the nickname 'scaley' kaylee, constant muck in her face wrinkles that needed cleaning out 3 or 4 times a day and the smell of a stewed jockstrap.

I met a Neapolitan mastiff once who bore more than a passing resemblance to a hippo. Apparently Neapolitans normally have a 'characteristic smell' but she had been rescued from a situation where she had developed a bad skin condition, exacerbated by being allowed to get overweight and covered with deep folds of skin. Her owners, bless them, loved her and did what they could to control her skin condition but even outside in the open air she stank. I couldn't have shared a house with her :(

In addition to the smell of horses - tack and saddle soap! I also love a whole array of 'fresh countryside smells' ;)because the happiest times of my childhood were spent rootling around in the barns and cowsheds on my grandparents' farm. That was back in the day when it was fine to let a child of around 6 wander round farms, climb ladders to the top of 20' haystacks, and go off across fields of cattle to fish in the river for sticklebacks with a jamjar and a fishing net made of her grandma's stockings and a bit of bamboo, all on her own...

I met a Neapolitan mastiff once who bore more than a passing resemblance to a hippo.
There is one lives near us - his grandfather played Hagrid's pet in the Harry Potter films.
tack and saddle soap!
and hoof oil - I LOVE the smell of hoof oil!

Last edited:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back