The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

dog tugging and chewing on leash when walking

terry004

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi,
anyone have any ideas how to stop my dog my chewing and tugging on lead when I take him out walking. It is so annoying and the more annoyed I get the more excited he gets. Any feedback would be very welcome.

Regards
Terry

Can you give more information? How old is he, does he do it all the way or just certain times, how have you tried to address it so far?

Is the tugging pulling to get ahead or is he playing with the lead? What breed is he?

Can you give more information? How old is he, does he do it all the way or just certain times, how have you tried to address it so far?

Is the tugging pulling to get ahead or is he playing with the lead? What breed is he?
he is 8 months old Patterdale Terrior..doesen't do it all the time usually if I don't allow him to go and say hello to another dog. I have tried him with treats they don't work, he generally tugs and plays with the lead.

To offer helpful advice, we really need to understand the problem properly or we could be sending you on a wild goose chase. I'm sorry to ask, but it feels like we don't really have much to go on.

Can you describe it in a bit more detail please? Is it only when he sees other dogs, is he frustrated at not getting to meet them? And how does he play with the lead, is he spinning away from a dog he sees and turning back to grab the lead?

How does he walk on lead normally?

To offer helpful advice, we really need to understand the problem properly or we could be sending you on a wild goose chase. I'm sorry to ask, but it feels like we don't really have much to go on.

Can you describe it in a bit more detail please? Is it only when he sees other dogs, is he frustrated at not getting to meet them? And how does he play with the lead, is he spinning away from a dog he sees and turning back to grab the lead?

How does he walk on lead normally?
Hi, he walks well on a lead but if he can't have his own way i,e (getting to meet other dogs) he grabs the lead like it's a pull toy and twirls and jumps..the more I try and get him to let go the worse he becomes..it's like a game to him.

While we are gaining information, have you tried carrying a robust toy or a small canvas retrieve dummy, and getting him to catch hold of tat instead?

While we are gaining information, have you tried carrying a robust toy or a small canvas retrieve dummy, and getting him to catch hold of tat instead?
no but I will try that..thanks

It sounds like it's a combination of frustration, and having discovered a great new game. You could try a chain lead (attached to a flat collar, NOT a choke chain) so it is less fun to chew, but also try to become really boring when he kicks off - turn away from him, ignore him, then praise and treat him when he calms down. Chances are, if you can avoid the behaviour being too rewarding now, he'll grow out of it.

Also, to help him deal with frustrations in general, have a look at the It's Yer Choice impulse control game on YouTube - it can be very effective.

Do, as Hemlock suggests, try giving him a toy or dummy to rag instead. And try to avoid getting close enough to other dogs that he's likely to kick off. You could also train a good 'watch', and get him to watch you when you see other dogs from far enough away that he doesn't kick off (rewarding with a treat or a game with the toy) - in time, his response to seeing another dog could change to focusing in you rather than the dog.

Thanks for all the suggestions I will try them all and get back to you all with an update

Important part of the 'watch' is to commit to not allowing other dogs in his space when you want him to do so - otherwise trust is lost because you've asked him not to react to the dog and then not protected him. Never be afraid to block another dog using your body, to create distance by moving him out of another dog's sight, to turn back from where you meant to go, or to the side, off the path, wherever and whatever it takes. Also don't trust owners that say their dog only wants to play or it is okay for yours to tell them off. You didn't get your dog as a toy or training aid for anyone else's.

Important part of the 'watch' is to commit to not allowing other dogs in his space when you want him to do so - otherwise trust is lost because you've asked him not to react to the dog and then not protected him. Never be afraid to block another dog using your body, to create distance by moving him out of another dog's sight, to turn back from where you meant to go, or to the side, off the path, wherever and whatever it takes. Also don't trust owners that say their dog only wants to play or it is okay for yours to tell them off. You didn't get your dog as a toy or training aid for anyone else's.
thanks for the valuable info.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back