The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dog won’t come inside when called.

Queen Victoria

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I’ve had my rescue dog for 6 wks now. After a lot of hard work she’ll now come into the house when I leave the door open but likes to trot in and out. However she won’t come into the house when I call her from the door but does come to me in the garden. Now the weather has changed I can’t leave the door open. She comes up to the closed door but when I open it she runs away. If I go outside to coax her in she runs away but then follows me when I walk away. Help????

Oh it will take time to learn all the things and sounds like she is enjoying the extended living area and the growing confidence to go with it.
Keep some tempting treats nearby door, so as soon as she does come in, you are ready to praise her for coming to you. There will eventually come odd moments that she will react to you call accordingly and if she is praised for it, it will happen more and more often. You could start it by going outside but standing nearby your back door..and eventually start moving in when calling her.
As things are still fairly new and the outdoor life with better weather exciting thing..eventually the garden loose its 'newness' and becomes more of 'norm'..she will start listening you more too. Give her more time...it can takes months to get there..;)

The more she is given the choice to come in or not, the sooner she will feel that indoors is safe. I would avoid bribing her to come in using a high-value treat and then shutting her in, which could make her more fearful of being called and bribed, and be quite stressful for her as she both wants the treat and to stay outside. So if she does come in for a treat, leave the door open so she can choose to go out if she wants to. If you really do need to bring her indoors, once she's in, play a really rewarding fun game with her so she forgets that you shut her in. But if she's not ready yet for fun indoor games... go with Finsky's advice. This is all about building her confidence and feelings of safety.

Also, bear in mind that the best way to train excellent recall is to only ever call your dog when you know they will respond - so if you don't think she'll come in, don't call her, but keep on working on recall either in the garden, in the house, and on walks in situations you know she'll respond to.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back