The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dog wont stop barking

Becky1990

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
hi everyone

So I have 2 dogs, milo a jack cross and chance a staffie cross. So
Milo is 5 and has always been a yappy dog. He will bark at anything that walks past him. Bark in the garden, at the window and now at our puppy who is 5 months old. My neighbor is complaining now that the barking is getting out of control to the point I feel like I can’t even let my dog out without me being out there with him due to them moaning, especially when they are sat in the garden. My neighbor sits there shouting at my dog and swearing! It’s a joke. I wouldn’t say it’s excessive at all he just does a little bark now and again when he hears a noise, protecting his property. My other neighbours dog regularly barks throughout the night but he don’t say nothing to them he just doesn’t like me. Would an anti bark collar work?

Please don't use an anti bark collar. Your dog is barking for a reason (whether we think it a good reason or not) so while a collar might address the symptom - the barking - it won't address the cause. So your dog will be frustrated or anxious and that will come out in other behaviours that could be more serious/annoying/difficult to manage.

Teaching him to bark once then stop would be better. Have a look at this series of videos.

Kikopup - Training 4 Barking Episodes: Kikopup - Training 4 Barking Episodes - YouTube

Dogs bark Fact..
JRT and other terriers are known to be noisy. How stupid is your neighbour? Newton's third law is: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. So every time they shout, your dog barks ..ie; action and reaction... However in the eyes of human lawmakers your dog is the only one who will be punished so its no good arguing with the neighbour. Although recording any shouting or abuse will help if they do make a formal complaint.
Best thing is to try to teach your dog to ignore them.. I tell Murphy not to talk to idiots when he barks at odd/drunk people in the street. Makes me feel better and he is now getting used to this as a stop word!

Neighbours, eh? If this is down to him not liking you I doubt stopping Milo barking will make a difference, he'll just find something else to complain about. Maybe you'd be better off building bridges with your neighbour?

as above, yes - the neighbor yelling at the dog WILL make the dog bark [again, or possibly louder or more intensely / with more threat] - so no, U don't want to leave the dog out there solo if the neighbor is at home, as their yelling will escalate the behavior [make it worse]. :(

Meanwhile, i would teach the dog to SPEAK ON CUE - yes, that means 'bark'. :D
It sounds counterintuitive or even stoopid, but putting any behavior on cue gives U stimulus control - & having taught "on" / speak, U can then teach "off" / 'hush'. :) 'Speak' needs to be taught 1st & become at least 75% compliant B4 U start teaching 'hush' - 75% compliance is 3 out of 4 single cues, the dog does it on that one cue.

I've posted B4 about teaching 'hush' - i'll find a past post, rather than re-type the whole thing.
- terry

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back