The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

doggone it, they still don't get it! - Ignorant voice-over on Pa SPCA episode

leashedForLife

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register

I'm "watching" S 13 / Ep 14 of "Animal Cops Philadelphia", a rebroadcast of a 2009 episode, & while the ACOs are executing a search-warrant of a house where a sick pitbull pup was sold, the agents are faced with removing a human-aggro dog.
There are multiple dogs, on the ground floor, in the basement, & in backyard cages, & the supervisor on scene suspects this is more a breeding operation for fighting dogs than a pet-breeding business.
[I'm not sure why - the adult-dogs have no facial, ear, or leg scarring, there's no fighting paraphernalia, no pit or ring, their ears aren't even cropped. Successful fighters are bred for future fighters - nothing about these dogs indicates a past Hx of fighting.]

They go outside to discuss how to remove the aggro dog, an intact-M AmBull, & i hear the narrator say, "Confronting a fighting dog with an aggressive history could be fatal" [to the SPCA agents].
:mad: Dammit. Dog-fighting is DOG aggression; this dog lunged & snapped at nonthreatening human strangers who were just standing in the doorway. That's HUMAN directed aggro, & it has absolutely nothing to do with an alleged past-history of fighting other dogs.

Even if this AmBull fought other dogs [& nothing in his appearance indicates this], dogs who are actively fighting, at that moment, still have to be sufficiently self-controlled to be handled intrusively DURING the fight - I mean, either owner / handler can swoop in at any time & pick up their own dog bodily, & NOT be bitten.
Fighting dogs are normally highly human-affiliative, have excellent bite inhibition, & are NOT human-aggressive. :( That's precisely why it's such a shame that many shelters & rescues have a blanket policy of killing / euthanizing all "fighting dogs", even 2-WO pups of former-fighter sires are routinely destroyed. It's needless.

If that barsteward Michael Vick taught us nothing else, his ex-dogs proved conclusively that even former-fighters can be rehabilitated, over 90% of the time, & are no longer dog-aggro. That 2007 legal case was a watershed for fighting dogs.

Of some 44 dogs seized, all actively fought, just FOUR were placed with Best Friends as 'lifers', & 2 of those later became adoptable. Over 90% of Vick's ex-dogs were adopted by average pet-owners [APOs]; they became loving pets, literacy dogs, therapy pets, & often were adopted into multi-dog households.

https://barkpost.com/good/vicktory-dogs/

I know this is a 2009 episode, just 2-years post-Vick, but it's so discouraging to continue to hear such blatant misrepresentations of well-known facts in dog behavior. Dogs who chase & kill cats don't chase & kill humans; VERY FEW dogs who fight other dogs will attack people - some, yes, but it's an extremely-tiny fraction of the whole. Human-aggro & dog-aggro are separate issues; tho they can be found in the same dog, they're not associated.

It's so important to educate the public about dog-bites, why they happen & how to prevent them, & this sort of careless reporting is inexcusable. :(

JMO & IME, YMMV,
- terry

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back