The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Doggy brain damage/neurological condition

Elideri

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all,
My cockapoo bitch had her first litter 14 weeks ago. She had seven and the birth went smoothly. The runt of the litter was born last, and she struggled to latch onto the nipple. She needed a lot of help and had pneumonia at just two days old. She almost died. I named her Crumpet and decided I’d keep her. Fast forward, she was always a few weeks behind her siblings in her development. For a while we worried she was both deaf and blind (turns out she’s neither). It became quite apparent at 3 weeks old that she was different to the rest. The vet thinks she may have been starved of oxygen at birth and that she has some brain damage, or a neurological disorder although she said she doesn’t feel the need to further any investigations unless Crumpet is struggling. Crumpet walks with a wonky head, she doesn’t really like to make eye contact, she can be a little unsteady on her feet and can be quite uncoordinated (especially when she just wakes up, it’s like a she’s drunk) but overall she’s very happy, healthy, active, playful, hungry, cuddly, zoomy, keen to learn, explore etc (everything I’d expect of a puppy). To an outsider, they probably wouldn’t notice anything wrong with her, but it is almost as if she has a mild doggy version of cerebral palsy, that’s the only way I can really describe it. I just wondered if anyone else has any experience of a wee brain damaged dog? Does a neurological condition tend to get worse as time passes, or will she stay just a little wonky her whole life? Just wondering if anyone else has a wonky dog and what your stories are. Thanks!

Attachments

• E7A64BAA-F7A8-4C8C-9996-F695BE90217C.jpeg
    E7A64BAA-F7A8-4C8C-9996-F695BE90217C.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 93
I've no experience or advice to offer, but huge respect to you for giving her a chance for a wonderful life. She's a real sweetie.

Reactions: RGC
Oh she is gorgeous! And love the name:D
Years ago when I worked in boarding kennels we used to have a Doberman come and stay with us. Her mum had killed all her litter mates and by some miracle she survived the attack. She had very obvious brain damage, with a lasting head tilt and a very unusual gait...but she was a beautiful girl and still enjoyed her life, just slightly differently to others! She came every year of the 5 years I was there and I think she was around 7 years old the last time I saw her and she was still doing well, in a wonky way...:)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back